Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   1975 blazer floor replacement!help! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/1975-blazer-floor-replacement-help-50725/)

GirlyGirl Racing 75 10-27-2010 11:26 AM

1975 blazer floor replacement!help!

Hi yall!,

This is my first post so be nice :) Ive always LOVED K5 Blazers and recently I managed to score myself one for 200 bucks and drive it home! But of course, 200 bucks didnt give me a very safe truck :( The floors are gone! even all the supports are rusted out. It does have new rockers though and the exterior peices such as the fenders, hood tailgate are all in good shape just minor rust. And the 350 runs great in it! its just that darn underside! My boyfriend says just get another truck this ones too far gone but im a hardhead and i like to weld and im fixin' to rebuild! I already bought the front floor pans from lmc but they dont sell any kind of supports or anything. Please give me some ideas! Im not tryin' to make this floor look like it came right out of the factory I just want it to be safe and bolt my seat down! SO any ideas no matter how crazy are welcome! (Just dont tell me its too far gone cuz like I said, Im a hard-head:))

swartlkk 10-27-2010 11:44 AM

For the front (under your feet), the available panels will work. However, for under the seat and the transition up to the bed floor, you are going to have to make your own. That is my plan on my '74 anyway.

I have not found any of the sources that sell '73-'77 specific floor pieces for under/behind the front seats. I believe the floor was the same until '78 when then changed to allow for more leg room for the back seat passengers. Other than where the seat mounts are raised up, the floor is relatively flat. It shouldn't be too difficult to recreate it from flat stock.

GirlyGirl Racing 75 10-27-2010 12:18 PM

Yeah thankfully the parts where i need to replace are mostlly where you sit, the middle where the shifter and the arch where the bed meets the "cab" area are in good shape. but the bed is completley rusted through and so is both the drivers side and the passengers sides.I just wish i could get a closer look on how it was supposed to look :) not totally rusted through. Thanks for your help! any ideas on what to use to reinforce the seat area?

b1heqh54 10-28-2010 06:57 PM

Of course, if you can find a doner with no drivetrain a rotten interior and a good floor you could cut out the floor with a cutoff wheel on your grinder and then weld it in your truck. Of course you would cut the hole in your truck slightly undersize to leave a flange around the edge. Then drill some 1/8" holes and start tacking away with the welder. I might seal it up with some silicone along the seam too and then paint it. I know the odds of finding a doner don't seem that great but I've seen a few in barns around here that were parked years ago but are sitting inside so the floorpans are usually pretty good.

...just thinking out loud for you, because I like your moxy.

abig84 10-28-2010 09:41 PM

ive had the rustiest of the rustiest in the past. my first truck was so bad the floors werent even attached to the walls anymore, youy could see them move seperately going down the road. i ended up welding bars from the floor to the wall. that really stiffined things up. also i wouldnt even mess with taking the roof off. sometimes its the only thing holding the shape of the body together