Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2000 Boring Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer11 is on a distinguished road

Not so boring ! nice work. As far as the fans , pretty much this, used this with good success on small block cars:
https://www.haydenauto.com/Featured%...r/Content.aspx

Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

About a year or so ago my dynomax strap rusted out so I pulled it off and just left the top part of the hanger on there and didn't worry about it. About 2 weeks I go I noticed that my exhaust was knocking at idle or under acceleration. Well when I crawled under the car this is the first thing I found.

What happened was the front exhaust hanger by the converter had broke so the front pipe was sitting on the cross member. I replaced that, and got a new hanger for the muffler that I had to modify to fit. Luckily I kept that dynomax muffler in storage. I did have the front pipe welded to the flowmaster so I had to cut that off and add a short extension to the back so the pipes would fit. it is all clamped together for now. I forgot how quiet that dynomax muffler was.

I got the old muffler and remains of the strap in the bed of the truck for recycling.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM

So, this is something that was scary. I went out with a lady friend on Sunday and I left the blazer out in front of a Sheetz (Sheetz is a large gas station chain here in PA) and she drove after that. It was right in front in plain sight of everyone going in and out so I doubt that it was tampered with. My son was with my parents, so after we were done I left to go pick him up. I drove on the highway for about 15 miles and I started to notice a pretty good noise and vibration.

I got to their house and saw this. (I drove this on the highway!)

I knocked all 5 out and of course the local Advance only had 2 in stock. So I took my truck and drove to one about 20 minutes away. It only took about 5 minutes with an impact to reinstall them. Luckily the wheel was fine. The one stud seemed fine but I figured that it could be fatigued so I figured I would replace that too.

Last edited by Tajohns34; 06-25-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:23 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Thank goodness for hub-centric wheels.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
Thank goodness for hub-centric wheels.
Indeed. If I hadn't been running aftermarket wheels It would have been a different story for sure. Even though they are firebird wheels the center bore is the same as the stock blazer wheels.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 PM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Don't those Firebird and Camaro wheels have a slightly different stud spacing than the Blazer wheels??? I've read that the difference is about .015 inch. Doesn't sound like much but I'm thinking that the difference and the torque applied to the studs caused metal fatigue over time. You dodged a bullet. Glad you didn't get hurt though.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:37 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

My mid 80s Camaro rims were the same, I believe on certain years where different

Old 06-25-2019, 11:21 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Eshaw, I think you're referring to Beemer wheels.... those are spaced very similar, but just off a tiny bit.

My buddy had something similar happen on his Ram. (2001 with later style rims) Ended up, he didn't get the wheel completely on when torquing down, and the gap slowly wobbled the lug holes into ovals. Guess the wheel came off completely, and rolled by him. Lol

Old 06-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by eshaw
Don't those Firebird and Camaro wheels have a slightly different stud spacing than the Blazer wheels??? I've read that the difference is about .015 inch. Doesn't sound like much but I'm thinking that the difference and the torque applied to the studs caused metal fatigue over time. You dodged a bullet. Glad you didn't get hurt though.
That would make sense but here is what is weird. I just replaced that front wheel bearing back in April (on Easter actually), So those were the newest studs on the vehicle. Maybe they were weak from the factory or something.

Just as a reference:

Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 AM

I finally got new front shocks.I got Monroe 911514s It makes a massive difference for sure. While i had it apart I cleaned the suspension and frame with Greased lightening, oven cleaner, and brake cleaner and a wire wheel. Then I painted everything black with chassis paint.

Last edited by Tajohns34; 06-28-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Boring Blazer Build