Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   2000 budget build (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/2000-budget-build-86955/)

josh18657 08-23-2014 12:20 AM

2000 budget build

6 Attachment(s)
So I was driving down the road on my way home from a job, heart broken because my girlfriend blew the engine in my blazer when I seen almost a twin sitting on the side of the road with a for sale sign in the window. Of course I pull over to look at even though I know it has to cost more money than I have. $2000 and well worth it after looking it over a bit but still more than I have. I snap a few pictures and send them off to the girlfriend cause well, we all love pity lol.

Couple weeks later driving home again, this time the girlfriend is with me and I point out the Blazer and of course stop and look at it again. I can't believe it's still here. This time we take down the number and drive off. At this time I was debating putting a replacement engine in my broken blazer that is still sitting in a parking lot but cheapest I could find a guaranteed engine and install is $800 and I have been saving up for it.

Thinking it over a few more hours we decide it can't hurt to call the guy and see if I can get the Blazer for maybe around $1800. So I have the girlfriend call, yes because for some reason around here guys will give females better prices on vehicles. Some how she manages to talk him down to $1300 and I'm just blown away. Next day we drive down to meet the owner and look over the blazer a little more. Interior is in excellent condition with all the bells and whistles including a sunroof which my old one doesn't have and on top of that only 71k miles on it. Of course I couldn't pass this up so it came home with us :)

Fast forward a week and I've replaced the fuel lines, installed my cb and installed a roof rack. I have purchased a hood release cable and rear lift shackles. The hood cable is my project for tomorrow night if it doesn't rain and the shackles I'll hold off until my new bushings come which I didn't even think of replacing until I read a few more posts on the forums here. I also ordered the color samples from monstaliner.com because I can't use black or my Blazer will look almost exactly like rexmburns and my old blazer was a 2 tone with silver on the bottom and I liked that.

The rack I put on today but I'm not a big fan of it so maybe I'll practice some welding and make a custom one. Also need to replace the turn signals in the grill because one of the factory fog lights is broken.

Some other planned upgrades include rear wheel spacers, bigger tires, Alternator and wiring upgrade, quad headlights, offroad lighting, brush guard, front receivers in frame ( if I can with the brush guard ), dual din radio, replace speakers, add a sub / amp, electric fan and who knows what else

Anyway, here are some pics of the blazer.

My old Blazer
https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1408771034

CB Install where cassette player was

Blazer with rack installed

josh18657 08-23-2014 12:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If anyone will be replacing the fuel lines on a 4 door any time soon I can't recommend the lines I used.

Chevy S10 Blazer Fuel Line Kit 4Dr 4.3L GMC Jimmy S Series Oldsmobile Bravada

It is a great idea but poorly implemented. The set comes with both feed and return lines, each line comes in 2 pieces with a nice fitting between to join them. This helps in running the lines a great deal but for some reason they put this splice right at the middle body mount so there is no way you can run both lines where they are supposed to be because the couplings are a lot bigger than the line itself. Preferably they would have moved 1 forward like 4 inches and the other back about 4 inches. I ended up needing to run the return line way out around the body mount and it looks horrible. Also there is no reason this set costs $100., should be around $50.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1408772323

josh18657 08-23-2014 06:07 PM

Can anyone give me an ebay link for the ball joint spacers?
Are they worth adding if doing a tbar lift of 2 inches?

jmparker82 08-23-2014 06:28 PM

If you need a new setup for the blinkers and fog light i may be able to help you. I am about to replace my setup with led blinkers and fog lights on my front hitch reciever. I will just extend the wires out from the fog light wiring harness so everything works as factory with no excess ugly wiring under the hood. I am hoping to order the led blinkers at the end of the month. Once i get them if you pay shipping they are yours.

jmparker82 08-23-2014 06:31 PM

Oh and read up on here about going to a 2 inch lift using the torsion bars. Alot of what i read says everything on the front end wears out really fast at the full 2 inches. I am going to be doing a 1 inch tbar lift on mine once i can replace the rear leaf springs and put on a add a leaf with 1.5 inch shackle lift. Hopefully in Oct i will have it done. Just suggesting alot of reading to maybe save money later.

jmparker82 08-23-2014 06:32 PM

I just read your post again. Are you going to get rid of your roof rack? If so i would be interested pending shipping isn't a killer.

josh18657 08-23-2014 06:52 PM

been doing tons of reading on the forums last few days, can't believe I didn't find this place sooner :)

Hopefully the ball joint spacers would help save the ball joint so if not mistaken the only thing still getting a beating is the cv shaft which means time for an autozone lifetime warranty shaft on both sides lol

I'll definitely take you up on that flasher offer when you get your new stuff, for some reason with the fog lights the cheapest I could find was $40 for the set. I know I only need 1 but I like to replace pairs, just one of my quirks :)

The rack honestly is just a $100 unit I picked up at my local walmart, not sure if it would be worth shipping it anywhere. It's not horrible but would look better if it was wider. Thinking I might keep it and put a light bar of some kind in front of it with spare roof rack crossmembers but not sure yet.

Tomorrow morning I'll be headed to harbor freight to pick up a couple of those receiver tubes cause I really do like that mod and might pick up a cheap welder they have on sale to play around with.

I seen in one build where the guy made a box in the floor for subs and that looked awesome so I'm thinking of doing something about the same but I would put a couple sealed batteries in mine and maybe my chains and such.

josh18657 08-23-2014 07:09 PM

Also looks like I'll be keeping an eye on craigslist for a set of 255/70 15 tires.

jmparker82 08-23-2014 07:32 PM

Read up on some of the posts i put up. Ok i will look into a roof rack else where then. I am wanting one that is full sized from back to almost windshield if possible. May have to make one as well. Put spare tire in the back portion and attach a light rack to the front of it. Then that leaves alittle extra storage space if needed.

Once i get the blinkers i will let you know. I am going to a friends house to test fit the regular blinkers to make sure they fit before i buy the led ones i am wanting.

jmparker82 08-23-2014 07:33 PM

Was there much to fitting the cb into the spot where the cassette player was? I have been wanting to do that to just haven't had time.