Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM
95BlazenLT is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...

After being on this forum for several months and getting some great advice and some better examples (the search feature works great) I decided to post a build thread to document my progress and let you all in on what I've been up to...

In the beginning...
I bought the 1995 Chevy Blazer LT in Sept of 2011 as a winter/knock-around vehicle. It was in good working order and had very little rust, just some spots on the doors. I did some of the usual stuff I do to older, used, high mileage vehicles. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, complete distributor, oil change, fuel filter, radiator flush. (just some of the basic housekeeping type stuff) I figured that would be enough to ease my mind that the small stuff was fresh and new.

I was pleased with how the Blazer did over the following months and it didn't give me any problems so I decided to keep it. With that decision made, I wanted to make the Blazer tip-top and make sure that all the mechanical systems are the best they can be. So when spring came and I was able to drive the summer car I went to work.

I had to replace the EGR valve as the pindle keep sticking due to carbon build up. I also did a complete throttle body cleaning and ran a ton of injector cleaner thru the system and then pulled all the plugs for inspection and cleaning after that no problems.

I also replaced the front brake pads and rotors with Hawk Pads and drilled rotors. Then I replaced the rear shoes, drums, wheel cylinders and all the hardware. I also had to replace all the brake lines from the rear block to the rear wheels. Then I drained the old brake fluid out of the system and replaced it with fresh DOT 3 and bleed the system several times. The brakes are now strong and firm without a hint of mushiness. The Blazer sure does stop when it's told to.

As the spring went on I started to notice some slight slipping in the 2nd to 3rd shift and the trans started to need to warm up a bit before reverse would engage... So... out came the transmission, the transfer case and the front differential and off to a trans shop they went (my internals skills are a bit lacking) The trans was rebuilt and all the seals in the transfer case and front diff were replaced. While that was happening I replaced all the u-joints and drained the rear differential and replaced the rear diff cover.

I did find a tag on the engine and come to find out that the engine only has 40k on it so that was a bit of good news. The flip side of that is that all the carbon build up may be the result of a leaky injector. I pulled the plugs again and it looks like number three (yes, the one behind the steering shaft) was the one that had more build-up than the rest. But it matters very little in the case of the Blazer as all the injectors get replaced at once as they are complete unit... (project for another time)

I replaced all the ball joints, upper and lower. As well as the shocks at all four corners. I removed all the steering linkage and gave it a good cleaning and hit the underside of the engine with plenty of degreaser and gave it a good power washing. I also redid the frame and undercoating paint that had been applied what it looked like years ago...I put all the steering linkage back on and replaced the outer tie-rods.

I got the transmission, transfer case and the front diff back from the shop in a timely fashion (just as I was running out of busy work) So, back in went the front diff and the transmission. I had to replace the trans mount before I put the transfer case back in. Then the drive shafts with the new u-joints and then the exhaust went back on. I did replace the old cat with a high-flow cat but the old muffler looked like it was replaced recently so it can stay for now.

I did all the testing and observations need to confirm that all was well and that all worked as it should... No check engine lights, No leaks, so I'm happy with the results... So this is all I can do to bring the Blazer up to par. Now it is time to plan for some off-road modifications as I want to get all the fun out of the Blazer as possible. I haven't had much experience with off-road wheeling but after looking at this forum, it looks like something I would like put on the list on things I do... But here it is as it sits today...

Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Pic to come!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM

Pics as promised...

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250063.jpg   1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250064.jpg   1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250055.jpg   1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250072.jpg   1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250077.jpg  

1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250068.jpg   1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250069.jpg   1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250070.jpg   1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250071.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Just a brief update... I have made arrangements to have the rust spots addressed and the lower parts of the body panels and bumpers sprayed with white bedliner type material and I just received a Rock Country 2.5" suspension lift kit and a 2" body lift kit and plan to have that stuff put on in the next few weeks... If anyone has any suggestions or advise, I would most thankful for the heads-up... I'll keep you guys posted and will try to get pics up as the work goes on... Stay tuned...

Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM
jbw23 is on a distinguished road

Very nice blazer! Can't wait to see it with the lift!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jbw23
Very nice blazer! Can't wait to see it with the lift!
Thanks jbw23... I have seen newer Blazers with less miles not looking as good as mine so I think that this Blazer is worth the extra time, money and effort to make it a little meaner looking and driving than it is at it's current state... I'll be putting all the new bits in soon, so I will keep you guys/gals posted... I know, with pics... Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
MushMy4.3 is on a distinguished road

looks like it will be a great rig, i cant wait to see the progress!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by MushMy4.3
looks like it will be a great rig, i cant wait to see the progress!
Thanks Mush... I'm getting excited to get to work on it... Just trying to get some lift time at work... I'm hopin' it will be done by the end of October at the latest... I'll post pics as I go... or at least try to... Thanks...

Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Default Nosejob...

I got a grill and painted it white... Planning on having bedliner material sprayed on the lower panels and bumpers... I'll probably have the grill sprayed too...
BEFORE and AFTER...

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p8250061.jpg   1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...-p9160011.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Truck looks nice! You should look into Monstaliner for the rockers and such. Thats what I used and unlike the spray on stuff it will actually stay black and not fade to grey like all the rest do. Its also way cheaper and you can get a bunch of different colors if you don't want black. I love it and recommend it every chance I get!

Quick Reply: 1995 Chevy Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 Project...