Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   99 4 door blazer (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/99-4-door-blazer-93975/)

DonL 02-02-2017 01:01 PM

I've been slowly picking parts here and there to get my blazer to where I want it to be. Lucky for me, Kijiji has been on my side. Picked up my brush guard and tail light covers for 100$, my s10 offset rims for 40$, and tomorrow I'm picking up my nerf side steps for 200$. After all this I got my 2" body lift I want to put on in the summer and looking for a zr2 tire carrier.

To all the 4 door who already installed a carrier, I've checked the walk throughs on here and I'm still a little unclear on the reinforcement for the side panel. I'm thinking just a few layers of steel shims? Any ideas/referrals? And out if a long shot, any one looking to make a few bucks by getting rid of theirs if not wanted/ needed?

One last thing. For the last few months I've been having a hard knocking while turning corners and parking. I've taken it in and looked myself, shop says the front end is good, I went under and found my torsion bars looser then a hooker on special.... Pardon my french.... So I tighten them up and got rid of the tire rub I had but the clunks are still there... Any ideas?

Oh, and can't forget the fender flares!!

rexmburns 02-02-2017 02:17 PM

I think my tire carrier install starts somewhere around page 50 in my build thread. I can hang on mine (I'm 230lbs) and swing along with a 40" tire mounted on it and I don't have any issues with the way I did mine.

DonL 03-11-2018 07:40 PM

12 Attachment(s)
so instead of starting yet another thread, im going t build off my original one.

from here i will add any pictures ive taken on the way until now, and any other modifications/upgrades that will be done in the future.

until now:

- add a leaf kit on rear
- torsion key crank
- spare tire carrier
- installed and uninstalled side steps (will re install down the road)
- any other reg maintenance (ball joints, hubs, breaks, shocks, typical blazer problems)

coming up:

- 2.5 rough country lift
- roof rack
- flood/fog lights
- winch

here are some pics, stock height, new leaf, trail plug in placement. side step and tire carrier installed.

christine_208 03-11-2018 10:57 PM

What did you end up doing to reinforce the spare tire carrier?

DonL 03-12-2018 09:41 AM

I do not have any pictures, but I used 2 pieces of 16g steel, I believe they were 3"x14". I curve it to the body and installed them against the body on the back 2 bolts only. My bolts went through the body and the inner piece aswell coming to around 5"-6" long. And for the two bolts above and below the tail light I did not instal anything.

so far with the full size 235/75/15 AND myself(180lbs) on the carrier while it is open does not warp or bend the body at all. Been a good year since I installed it. I didn' have lock tight when I installed it so I will be re-tightening the bolts sometime this summer. Just for security reason, they haven't comes lose yet

christine_208 03-12-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DonL (Post 687739)
I do not have any pictures, but I used 2 pieces of 16g steel, I believe they were 3"x14". I curve it to the body and installed them against the body on the back 2 bolts only. My bolts went through the body and the inner piece aswell coming to around 5"-6" long. And for the two bolts above and below the tail light I did not instal anything.

so far with the full size 235/75/15 AND myself(180lbs) on the carrier while it is open does not warp or bend the body at all. Been a good year since I installed it. I didn' have lock tight when I installed it so I will be re-tightening the bolts sometime this summer. Just for security reason, they haven't comes lose yet

I've been thinking of doing this mod but I've struggled with how to properly reinforce the attachment points. I really like your solution and will use what you did when/if I do this mod.

The only other thing I came across in my searches that I think could possibly improve on what you did is to use an automotive body panel adhesive/sealant to secure your metal bars to the inside of the body panel to further distribute the load.

If you do get in there to to re-tighten the nuts, please take and then post pictures.

Thanks!

DonL 03-15-2018 12:11 PM

Mail lady came in today. Gave me some more parts for the blazer. Now just gotta hit the scrap yard this weekend for:

- 1st gen s10 centre link
- rear calipers
- zq8 steering box

and next Friday I order my lift kit and steering stabilizer. Wife's getting tired of hearing how excited I am lol

Tajohns34 03-19-2018 12:08 PM

I had a knocking like that once. I replaced an axle with a torn boot and found that the 4 little bolts on my ball joint loose. I tightened them and got an alignment and all is well.

DonL 03-28-2018 06:58 PM

FedEx came today. Very happy man. Rough country came threw pretty quick. Ordered on Friday morning, arrived at 3 today. Not bad for travelling from tennessee to Ontario. https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...5812c617ae.jpg2.5 rc lift kit with a steering stabilizer.
I couldn' find a decent 1st gen center link in time so I will be trying out the steering stabilizer that bolts to the second gen. I also picked up these:https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/blazerf...1a8700bbc7.jpgSteering coupling disk kit and new u joint clamp for the front.
I also did not get the steering box, so I am hoping that the steering stabilizer and new rag joint will take the slack out.

project for Easter weekend:

install lift kit and steering stabilizer
install cv axles
bleed brakes
do tie rods and rag joint
clean carpet in truck
Start assessing rust control to do in may-ish

chevyriders 03-28-2018 09:14 PM

Aw Yeah! Can't wait to see it with the lift on. Should tighten the steering up nice with the stabilizer and new rag joint too.