Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

"Blue" - The 2002 GMC Jimmy SLS 4 Door

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 02:43 AM
SFP
Beginning Member
SFP is on a distinguished road
Default "Blue" - The 2002 GMC Jimmy SLS 4 Door

Let me start by stating this thread may take years to complete. So will the build.

Backstory.

A few weeks back my trusty 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon (named Trinity - from the Matrix) had a brake failure. I own I have been putting that car through construction/reno trade use hell the past two years. See I am a professional photography - portrait, commercial photography with 40+ percent of my work dealing with the music industry (mostly punk, rock and metal). Covid hits, all my work dries up, I started doing construction work to pay the bills. Now I also own a 1981 GMC Sierra Grande 2500 Camper Special - but he's off the road slowly being restored and well covid eh, so zero extra money for truck parts. I love my Volvo. She offroads really well due to the factory ground clearance, has a 5 speed that I love, can turn like nothing else (how tight a corner she can make) - no she is not a 4x4, but I get places the guys in decked out Jeeps riding on 37's always are stunned to see me at. I can sleep in her, she carries all my photography gear well, is a blast to drive, good on gas. She also has 483,496 KM on her. At the time of the brake problem I have been waiting two and a half months for front brake calipers (did I mention Covid f***s things up including supply chains?), was waiting on new driver side door internals and in need of a new blower fan.

So I parked her.

Started looking for a daily and as I had always planned on the next project being a 4x4 started my hunt and settled on a 96 - 05 Jimmy/Blazer. I have driven then before, used them as rental cars when they were in fleets back in the day, and hell, figure my Squarebody GMC could use a little brother or sister.

I looked a TON of crap. I can't believe what people will ask for a 4Runner, a Jeep, a Xterra and yes even a Jimmy/Blazer that:
- doesn't run
- needs a fuel pump, doesn't run
- needs new brake lines and a steering column
- cracked windshield, drivers window doesn't work, and no reverse
- etc

Like wow.

But I did find one

The ad read "2002 GMC Jimmy, 4 wheel drive that's great for driving in rainy and snowy conditions. Very spacious, good for camping in the summer." 257,000 KM, Automatic, SLS edition.

That was it. And a five photos.

Looked at the ad a dozen times over two weeks before I sent a message.

Turns out I know the kid through a good mutual friend. Not a motorhead/car guy. Needed it last year after his car died, bought it off a friend's older brother who bought it from his mom & dad. Had new rear brakes installed in December (last month) including rotors, new 3 mountain snow tires (235/75R15) - no major accidents, a few quirks, always been reliable.

He was asking $3000.xx CDN

Finally today a week and half later went and test drove and looked at it.

Bit of rust on drivers side rocker panel, some new bubbles on the drivers side rear fender arch - that is it for rust. No skid plates.Aftermarket bluetooth stereo, tires are like brand new, needed new wipers all the way away around - a few bumps and minor dents (off roading on fireroads), front grill is cracked, a hood could use a bit of love. Interior was good. New seats for front row, everything works. Visual inspection by myself and a buddy I trust, looked good. Test drive went well.

I made an offer, he countered, I countered, we settled on $2500.xx

The Old Volvo and Me last early spring on a camping trip mid Vancouver Island.

The photos from the ad.

Happy to be the owner of a Jimmy.

Next post, the build list and ideas followed by asking questions and for advise.

Last edited by SFP; 01-30-2022 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Looks good! Since it already has a double DIN hole in the dash, my first upgrade would probably be a nice touchscreen head unit, but I don't know if that matters to you.

That sounds like a pretty good price, too. And welcome to the Blazer family!

Old 01-30-2022, 11:58 AM
SFP
Beginning Member

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah at some point I wanna drop in a display to tie in a BU cam for those narrow trails in BC (especially here on the island), as well as tie in a GPS system.

Before that though there are a few things I'd like to tackle.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:05 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Looks like a start for a build!

Old 01-30-2022, 02:34 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Welcome! Looks like you found a decent one and a vehicle that will serve you well!

Old 01-31-2022, 06:44 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Looks nice. Good luck on the build. Gotta love those blue Blazers (Jimmys, whatever) Mine is.

As an aside. I had a buddy in the day that had an 80's volvo like that one. I remember I had my first 75 grand prix that was a beast in upstate NY. I could actually speed UP some of those route 20 hills. But he would have to get a running start fast down one side to get up the other side without it slowing down to much. Sorry, I always chuckle at that. But hey they are durable.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:27 AM
SFP
Beginning Member

Well it has been just over a week with being Blue's new owner.

Quirks...

- driver sides front window sticks some time going up. I noticed three tiny holes behind the arm rest on the door panel so going to assume it has been looked it previously.
- mirror adjustment **** - works up and down, but not side to side
- brakes are way softer than what I am used to on my Volvo but to be expected. Anyone recommend a brake upgrade? Not thinking big brakes such.
- steering has the slightest bit of play - assuming that is the idler arm(s).
- and yes she eats fuel way quicker than the old Volvo - lol - I knew this going in.

Current build ideals.
- 2" PA body lift
- the 1-ton idler arm upgrade as well as replace all front end bits with Proforge or Moog parts (have always had great luck with Moog in the past)
- I'd like to also do the RC 2.5" lift but I would rather use good quality aftermarket shocks like Bilstein shocks instead of the RC ones that come with the kit.
-- I'd also rather do proper rear leaf spring upgrade to be on the safe side (and yeah I know that ain't cheap)
- steel wheels (pics included below) - I can't find what I want with proper backspacing and am not a fan of stuff sticking out and as the Euro flares seem impossible to get in Canada will go with factory GM steel wheels and powder coat them white.
- once lift is in place going to 30X10.5 - Tire choices include Cooper STT Pro or Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT or Falken Wildpeak A/T3W A
- roof basket - thinking of going Rhino but I get a killer deal on Yakima so may go with them instead
- rear tire carrier. Thinking a hitch mount system or new rear bumper with carrier. Worst case will do the 2d swap and follow the advice of the experts on here who have done an awesome job of detailing it.
- rock sliders (looks like these may need to be custom made unless someone has a link that services Canada)
- bull bar with bush guard or a light weight aftermarket bumper (limited options from my research)
- 2 round off road lights to mount on bumper - thinking ARB Intensity Solis Driving lights or KC Hilites G6 20W LED Daylighter
- RC 20" Black series 20" Cree LED light bar
- making a set of limb risers that I can remove if need be. So needed where I live
- replace the broken grill
- fix/replace the hood (slight bend on front of passenger side.
- fix/repair/replace rocker panels - may end up cutting them out and just putting custom rock sliders in place as I have seen done on builds on here
- two rear 12V power outlets at back of truck (one on either side)
- rear locker or g80 swap (still have to look up my VIN and see exactly what I have)

Still haven't decided if I am doing a rear seat delete - but am damn tempted to. Still pondering a rear slide out drawer set up.

Hoping to take it out for it's maiden camping trip the week of Feb 17 until 21. Logging roads will be about the worst she will see.

The wheels in question.
I prefer the top to lower. Any reason why I shouldn't use a 1994 wheel on my 2002?

Second choice for steel wheel

And a couple of quick photos I got last Monday

Cheers for now folks,
Scott

Last edited by SFP; 02-08-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:08 PM
SFP
Beginning Member

Well I have had Blue for seven months now. She has been on a number of camping trips, wheeling adventures and all over the south island (Vancouver Island).

So far I have had to have the back brake lines replaced, rear brake calipers, an oil change, new plugs and full tune up. She is doing great.

Here are some pics from the first seven months...

First camping trip to Port Renfrew, B.C. (February 2022) - the first batch:

All loaded up and ready to go.

Port Renfrew B.C Canada

Getting camp set up for west coast beach side winter camping.

Parked at Avatar Grove (North of Port Renfrew) - it's an old growth forest.

Airing down in order to get up the hill to go visit the second largest Douglas Fir tree aka Big Lonely Doug.

The Big Lonely Doug camp spot.

Up at the BLD camp spot. Snow and clouds.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Nice! Pretty country.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:14 PM
SFP
Beginning Member

Second batch of photos from first camping trip in February:

Along the mountain road past Eden Grove.

The high bridge that leads to Big Lonely Doug and Eden Grove.

Looking over the bridge from back of truck.

The river below. Rough guess, I'd say 200, maybe 300 feet up.

Sunset from campground the day we went to Big Lonely Doug. yes those colours are straight out of the camera, no filters.

More of the magical sunset at Port Renfew that night.

The campsite (iphone photo)

Quick Reply: "Blue" - The 2002 GMC Jimmy SLS 4 Door