Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My 1990 K5 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Blaze90 is on a distinguished road
Default My 1990 K5 Blazer build

Hey everyone, newb here, just posting up my 1990 K5 Build. I've wanted one of these for years, but just finally got one. I also own a 1986 S-10 Blazer that ws my first car and I still have it, it's in storage awaiting a restoration. My wife also drives a 2005 Trailblazer.

Anyway, I had a sweet 2000 Sierra that I loved. Well, I decided to go back to school to finally finish my degree so I sold my truck to pay for tuition and bought a nice 99 Suburban to drive and haul the kids around in and all. I really liked the truck, but then I needed a few more bucks for tuition so I ended up trading the Suburban for this 1990 K5 and some cash.

It is a pretty nice rig, but needed a lot of love. It was completely filthy when I bought it and had a lot of issues that the owner failed to mention to me, of course.

So here is how it looked when I picked it up.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Then I started working on it. I replaced the passenger window motor, rewired the tailgate glass, fixed the floppy vent windows on the sliders, and cleaned the fool out of it. Then I replaced the taillights and painted the grille.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Then I started planning out the suspension because I don't like the 3" body lift. In the process I found out the 4" suspension lift it had was only a 2.5" lift. Yay.

I ordered some new 6" springs in the front and going to do a 4" shackle flip in the rear.

And a buddy gave me some old doors, so I'll have some nice half doors once the weather warms up and I get some time to do some cutting and welding on them.

Oh, and the rear axle makes a racket so I'm going to replace it with a 15bsf that a friend gave me. Whever I do that I'm going to swap out the 10b outers in the front and run some H1 beadlocks and 37" military tires.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Dude... you and I have completely different definitions of filthy...
That beast has some sexy lines and a gorgeous interior. Grats for a BA buy!

btw if you ever for some ungodly reason no longer want those bumpers... I'll take em off you!!

Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

That is a clean, sexy ride!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

very clean

Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Pics don't show smell. The thing was really funky, and had a nice film over all of it from them smoking in it. Ugh.

Bumpers are staying. Only thing is that they were built when the truck had the 3" body lift, so I'm going to need to modify the brackets to make them work. Won't be hard, but would have been nice if it was a simple unbolt and bolt rather than a drill and weld.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blaze90
Pics don't show smell. The thing was really funky, and had a nice film over all of it from them smoking in it. Ugh.

Bumpers are staying. Only thing is that they were built when the truck had the 3" body lift, so I'm going to need to modify the brackets to make them work. Won't be hard, but would have been nice if it was a simple unbolt and bolt rather than a drill and weld.
Awww I think if I do get a set made I might model them after yours... just cause they so sexy!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member
Xb-lineblazerX is on a distinguished road

sweet build man, i just got my 1990 k5 with a 6in lift and 35's, im currently stripping the interior to coat the floors with bedliner. having troulbe fixing the linkage to the outer door handle though, those things suck.