Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Chevyriders Minnie Jimmy project (Return of the Minnie Jimmy)

Old 09-28-2017, 06:54 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road
Default Chevyriders Minnie Jimmy project (Return of the Minnie Jimmy)

Picked this up today for 400 bucks from a buddy. Needs some work that I'll be documenting here. It'lll be a winter driver for my girlfriend.

In the past year he's had it he put on a long list of parts including:

Battery
- Alternator
-Oil cooler lines
- Fuel Filter
- Transmission Fluid and Filter
- Top End of engine has all new gaskets
- Rear Axle
- Rear end fluid
- Shocks
- All new brakes lines
- All new brakes
- Both Wheel Cylinders
- Both front hubs
- Both CV joints
- Ball Joints
- Both axle seals
- 2 O2 sensors
- CAT Converter
- Trailer Hitch

Main issues I'm going to take care of first:

-Coolant leak(I'm pretty sure it's a lower rad. Hose..I have 2 spares)

-wipers stopped working- a new wiper motor came with the truck but I'm hoping g it might just be a fuse

- has a quiescent current draw that's killing the battery overnight, so I have to trace that down and fix it.

Other than that, I'll be lowering it a couple inches and putting a 98+ front end on it...along with a bunch more mods too I'm sure

Last edited by chevyriders; 09-28-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 PM

Figured out the wipers today, seems to be a loose connection where the harness plugs into the motor. Unplugged it, plugged it back in and it worked. I'll spray some electrical parts cleaner in there and dielectric grease it tomorrow to make sure it stays working.

Did some tracing wires to figure out the quiescent current draw. Noticed the clock stays lit even after the truck is off, pulled the radio for the night to see if the battery still goes dead. Also found a bunch of hacked wiring behind it from someone installing a aftermarket deck previously, so I'll solder and shrinkwrap all the connections in the morning.

Pretty ragged...all just twisted together under the electrical tape.

4x4isnt working so I started diagnosing that... Found that the t-case engages like it should, but the front diff isn't locking in. I'll have to pull the battery tray and look into it further.

Also found a split vacuum line in passing- so I fixed that too.

The paints dull, but it should buff up really nice. All the plastics(cladding and bumpers) are too sun faded and will probably get repainted... I'll probably paint the silver inlays black along with the wheels.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:53 PM

With the radio unplugged overnight the battery didn't loose any charge at all- was still a solid 12.4 volts this morning.

I have a pioneer head unit thats been sitting around for a while so I decided to put that in in place of the factory radio.

Soldered and shrink-wrapped the wiring adapter

Went back and soldered/shrinkwrapped all the previously hacked radio wires. Twisted and ziptied them all up to keep them neat.

And the radio works again- now it doesn't stay on with the truck off!

Just gotta order the correct dash kit...none of the local stores had them, so it looks ghetto right now.

After pulling the battery tray, I found everything to be functioning properly with the front differential actuator.. checked to make the cable was hooked up to the diff properly, and it was.... Then I noticed this:

Yep, that's the driver's side cv axle hanging pretty much all the way out of the differential... Willing to bet that's my issue right there. Hopefully it didn't cause any damage to the differential though.

Other than that, I put a new directional bulb in, and it should pass inspection now.

Did notice a faint smell of fuel though. So I'll be having to replace the lines and/or tank soon.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:21 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice fix to the radio. I like doing stuff the same way. Will last and not cause trouble in the future.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Thanks, i always feel better with soldered connections and neat wiring.i actually enjoy doing it too lol.

found my coolant leak easily thanks to a coolant pressure tester. unfortunately it was not the lower radiator hose as i previously thought- but the radiator its self. kicking myself for bringing my two spare radiators to the scrapyard last year.... but i cant complain too much, because this is the first fix that has actually cost me money on this truck.

Got the 4 wheel drive working today also. jacked the front end up and pulled the wheel, lined up the splines on the axle and snapped it all the way into place. it clicked in and feels locked there so it seems that the the clip is still good.. another free fix. gotta love it.

just gotta top off the front diff fluid because judging by the oil all over that area- its probably quite low

Last edited by chevyriders; 10-01-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Very nice.... following your jeep killer, going to follow this one too. Nice clean work every time.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:54 PM

Thanks DonL, I appreciate the compliment on my work!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Got a shiny new radiator today for 69 bucks... Not a bad deal.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:27 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Cool for cool coolant...

I like the radio setup thou: I have a piece of insulation cut out to act as a spacer for a cheap radio. Looks o.k. and does the trick.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Cool coolant is cool lol. Mine was slowly ending up on the ground.

That's not a bad idea- if it works it works. I found the right dash kit online though- so I'll be ordering that tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chevyriders Minnie Jimmy project (Return of the Minnie Jimmy)