Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Chevyriders Minnie Jimmy project (Return of the Minnie Jimmy)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:11 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Well I did this a little bass ackward , but I went ahead and lowered the jimmy 3 inches today. Cost about 30 bucks, and took about 3 hours... probably less. But I think it looks pretty good at this height.

Also started cleaning up the wheels.. I was very surprised at how much they cleaned up..but it takes alot of scrubbing and I'm still not done

I'll probably be blacking out the wheels soon, but they had to get cleaned up first anyway... I spent about the same amount of time cleaning 2 of the wheels as I did lowering the truck. I'm going to get stronger degreaser to do the other 2 so I don't waste my time.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:52 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Looks nice and level.... those rims look a h#@$ of a lot better now

Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Surprisingly it handles better too.. yeah donL I can't believe how much the wheels came back- I didn't expect much from them at all, but not too shabby.

Went back at it for part 2 today... Ended up with more free time than I expected.

Got the new radiator in and refilled with fluids

And I swapped the busted plastic skid plate out for the aluminum one that I can't use on my blazer any more

I gotta figure out something to do with this front bumper, it definitely took a light hit before.... possibly an envoy bumper swap if I can find one cheap... You can see how far off it is in this picture. Under the headlight and in the corner

Last edited by chevyriders; 10-07-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:47 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Doesn't look half bad lowered! Although I'm not sure I could bring myself to lower my 4x4 lol

What are those wheels off of? They look like OEM wheels for something and not aftermarket, but I could be wrong...

Old 10-08-2017, 04:49 PM

Yeah, I know it's taboo to lower a 4x4 lol. It was tough for me to do being an off-roader....but it's tough to find 2wd blazers in NY, I wanted a 4x4 for my girlfriend to drive in the winter, and I already have a lifted blazer i wanted a matching lowered one for... so I bit the bullet and went for it.... Plus it's not like it would take much to put it back at factory height.

I think the wheels are factory gm of some sort...I'm thinking maybe a Pontiac Bonneville, grand prix, or grand am possibly? They were put on by the previous owner (before my buddy owned it)

Got the other 2 wheels cleaned up today , and started polishing the paint with the buffer... What a difference it's making! Not perfect by any means-and I'm just doing a quick once over. But it's taking the heavy oxidation right off.

Big difference from the left side to right in this picture

Hood and fenders looking nice and shiny

Unfortunately buffing it made me notice all the bodywork that's been done to the nose, and all these chips down the passenger side..but at less than 500$ total invested for a reliable running driving 4x4 truck- I still have no complaints.

Decided in definitely going to try and find an envoy front bumper for it...I'm going to call around to junkyards and parts suppliers tomorrow

And wheel spacers for the back wheels has been added to my list for it too

Last edited by chevyriders; 10-08-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:42 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of lowering it. Make it just a little lower, maybe an inch or so for handling and slightly stiffer or adjustable shocks.

I would have done that to my other Blazer if it would have been worth saving. (Too much rust).

Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

damn come buff my 04 when you're done lol

Old 10-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Stiffer shocks will come eventually- but my buddy put new shocks on last year so I don't want to take them off just yet. It rides pretty nice so far...but I haven't really stretched it's legs in the corners yet- and I have a feeling the front shocks might run out of room to compress on hard corners

Blazenred, this is just a super quick buff too.. my buffing skills aren't very honed right now, it's been a while.

My buddy that works with me does all our detailing- he's a wizard with the buffer. He can make a turd shine lol

Edit: forgot to add, I found a local junkyard with a 98 envoy, they are supposed to call me back tomorrow morning after they check the condition of the front bumper and rear spoiler- so I'm crossing my fingers- because it would look pretty sweet with that bumper, and spoiler(which I would paint body color)

Last edited by chevyriders; 10-09-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:02 PM

So it's been a minute here, my blazer was taking all my focus for a while.

The envoy bumper/spoiler fell through- they had me come up to look at the bumper before they pulled it off the truck to make sure I was happy with the condition...when I got there- they didn't even have the envoy they said they did...they were all the new body style...so that was annoying.

I finally got the dash kit installed for the stereo so it doesn't look hack-y any more...still have to find the piece facia that goes around the head unit though...

My woman kept saying how she couldn't wait to get a new truck this coming year so she could get one with a remote starter...since I got this as a winter driver for her, I decided to surprise her and order a remote starter for it.

Also should be getting 1.5" spacers for the rear wheels by next week.

Been trying to find a nice set of 17s or 18s, just missed out on a set of z06 wheels today...they sold them before I could get them after I got out of work..

Old 11-17-2017, 08:05 PM

Picked up a set of ZR1 reps 18x9.5s for a slamming deal (after a long drive to get them).pretty pumped to see how they look on it, I like the style so it should be pretty good... Need to find 2 tires first though.

Quick Reply: Chevyriders Minnie Jimmy project (Return of the Minnie Jimmy)