Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

"Clever Name Here" 95 Blazer build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

So, I just rolled the dice and bought a snorkel. From what I've read, supposedly a snorkel from a Toyota Hilux series 106 fits our trucks really well. I didn't spend the $500 on a safari snorkel, though, got a knockoff on amazon. $500 was too much to gamble with!

It's coming via slow boat from China, so it'll be well into next month before it makes it here.

I'm not wanting to do any deep water crossings, but I've seem several videos where guys are going through what they think is just a puddle, and next thing they know, it's over their hood. Water doesn't compress, so I see the snorkel as a cheap insurance policy!
​​​​​​

Last edited by cleburne red; 03-11-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran

So, the "poor man's SYE" is competed, but I'll still need to replace the ujoints in the Durango driveshaft, and have it balanced eventually. Still need to fill the tcase, cross your fingers that it doesn't leak!

There's not a lot of room to get a quart bottle up there, either. Thinking about getting one of those little oil pumps I've heard about. Make filling the diffs way easier also

Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
So, I just rolled the dice and bought a snorkel. From what I've read, supposedly a snorkel from a Toyota Hilux series 106 fits our trucks really well. I didn't spend the $500 on a safari snorkel, though, got a knockoff on amazon. $500 was too much to gamble with!

It's coming via slow boat from China, so it'll be well into next month before it makes it here.

I'm not wanting to do any deep water crossings, but I've seem several videos where guys are going through what they think is just a puddle, and next thing they know, it's over there hood. Water doesn't compress, so I see the snorkel as a cheap insurance policy!
​​​​​​

THIS I want to see!

What did that run you?

Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
THIS I want to see!

What did that run you?
$157.99 on amazon. Gonna suck if it doesn't fit, but it supposedly fits certain year 4runners as well, so I might be able to get some of the money back on Craigslist if won't work.

Delivery is expected between April 4th to the 24th. So it's gonna be awhile before we know
​​​​

Old 03-12-2019, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran

Durango driveshaft fits like factory!

It's almost exactly in the middle of its compression travel, as well!
​​​​​​
This is a perfect swap for anyone running a big lift with bigger tires, who needs a little extra strength in the front driveline.

Next project will be replacing the leaky front axle seals, it looks like the Exxon Valdez under the front diff. Can't even drive it to work, my jackass friends will make fun of me to no end!

I might try to do the bravada axle shaft mod before the seals, though. Only have to mess with the diff once
​​​​​​

Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Durango driveshaft fits like factory!

It's almost exactly in the middle of its compression travel, as well!
​​​​​​
This is a perfect swap for anyone running a big lift with bigger tires, who needs a little extra strength in the front driveline.

Next project will be replacing the leaky front axle seals, it looks like the Exxon Valdez under the front diff. Can't even drive it to work, my jackass friends will make fun of me to no end!

I might try to do the bravada axle shaft mod before the seals, though. Only have to mess with the diff once
​​​​​​
Congrats on a nice mod!

As for the left-side front axle output bearing and seal, I've done that one, twice. Grrr. I did not use enough sealant on the cover plate. I decided when doing that fix that it was the perfect time to replace the inner CV boot. As long as the CV joint is sealed, it is easy to do and it gives you a chance to repack the joint. I probably should have done the outer one too but I was in a rush. This is also good to do if you have a lift as the new neoprene boots are much more flexible and won't want to pull off.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:00 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

$157.99 on amazon. Gonna suck if it doesn't fit, but it supposedly fits certain year 4runners as well, so I might be able to get some of the money back on Craigslist if won't work.

Delivery is expected between April 4th to the 24th. So it's gonna be awhile before we know
​​​​

That's not too terrible at all.

Will be awesome if it works out. I will be staying tuned in!

Old 03-15-2019, 03:25 PM
BF Veteran

Been thinking about pulling the interior, removing the carpets and laying down some kind of bedliner. Drill a couple holes in the floor boards and put rubber plugs in for washing out.

Anyone got any experience with that?

Old 03-15-2019, 03:57 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I havent done one, but my buddies old tru k came with a rubber floor. Damn good idea, especially as a work/offroad truck. I'm thinking something along the lines of shop floor paint?

Old 03-15-2019, 06:24 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

I have run across a Sonoma in the bone yards that had a rubberish floor....very standard trim level.

I have thought about doing the same....seen it in the Honda Element, thought it was a great idea.

There are some dangers to using bedliner on your interior, as it will release toxic chemicals over time. I think there is a thread on here from last year about a guy wanting to do this in his full size Blazer..

Quick Reply: "Clever Name Here" 95 Blazer build thread