Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Crazy Corvette IRS. swap idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member
PAblazerboy2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Crazy Corvette IRS. swap idea

So I have seen multiple examples now of people chopping up c4 Corvette irs's but the problem with that to me is budget, and wheel size, if I buy a prefabbed and shortened c4 irs it will cost alot more than if I were to find one of the right width. My blazer is a 4 door 4wd, and the axle is 59 inches from backing plate to backing plate, and a C3 Corvette's IRS is also 59 inches. Anybody have any ideas or if this is even possible?

REAR END LENGTHS
https://www.quickperformance.com/Sus...nts_ep_44.html

Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
jaymzz is on a distinguished road

I did a c4 IRS swap years ago in a Blazer and it was horrible. In theory it sounds great but in reality they are very weak. I kept breaking axles and spindles with about 450 whp. I have a friend with a c4 that went through the same thing and finally swapped to a 5 link for racing and says should have done it years ago. Not sure about C3 though,

Old 10-24-2018, 07:04 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jaymzz
I did a c4 IRS swap years ago in a Blazer and it was horrible. In theory it sounds great but in reality they are very weak. I kept breaking axles and spindles with about 450 whp. I have a friend with a c4 that went through the same thing and finally swapped to a 5 link for racing and says should have done it years ago. Not sure about C3 though,
well thank you for the input, that is very valuable information, I was just hopeing that it is stronger than my stock 7.625 10 bolt, if I get a corvette big block rear, they were dana 44 carriers, and I know the carrier can hold it, but like your buddy had, it come down to the axles, and u-joints.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:08 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PAblazerboy2000
well thank you for the input, that is very valuable information, I was just hopeing that it is stronger than my stock 7.625 10 bolt, if I get a corvette big block rear, they were dana 44 carriers, and I know the carrier can hold it, but like your buddy had, it come down to the axles, and u-joints.
I think you'd be better off just 4-link'ing a Dana 44 from a JK under the rear :P They're a little wider at a hair of 65in wide at wheel mounting surfaces, but you can always have that knocked down if you needed to (if you're willing to go through the fab work over stuffing a Corvette suspension under an SUV, that shouldn't deter you lol)

What is your end goal? Why are you leaning towards independent suspension anyhow, handling?

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 10-24-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I think you'd be better off just 4-link'ing a Dana 44 from a JK under the rear :P They're a little wider at a hair of 65in wide at wheel mounting surfaces, but you can always have that knocked down if you needed to (if you're willing to go through the fab work over stuffing a Corvette suspension under an SUV, that shouldn't deter you lol)

What is your end goal? Why are you leaning towards independent suspension anyhow, handling?
My end goal is a well handling daily driver, not a drag racer or a off-roader, the inspiration for the idea, is the roads around me are horrible. You feel every bump in the road. So if it were classified it would be a "pro-touring" type of car.