Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   Diff Busted. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/diff-busted-80636/)

DiffBuster 07-24-2013 10:09 AM

Diff Busted.

6 Attachment(s)
This is my stock 2000 Blazer. I went offroading for the first time a few weeks ago. Michigan Off Roading at Bundy Hill Off Road Park - Jerome, MI (4x4, OHV, ORV, ATV, Quad, Motorcycle, Jeep) Bundy Hill Offroad Park: 350 acres of Hell yeah!! Check out the link and youtube some vids. Being an inexperienced offroader, I managed to blow out the CV axle and break both mounts on the front diff. I've got her all opened up and changed the ball joints, universal joint, tie rods and shocks. I got a diff from the salvage yard, matched up the gear ratio and changed the axle seals. I'm having trouble getting the differential back up into the truck. I'm going to remove the motor mount bolts and jack the motor up out of the way so I can clear the bottom of the oil pan with the diff; as that is what is preventing me from getting it back in. I just putting it back together stock for not. I do plan on some mods in the future. Like a 2.5" rough country and some 31s but I'm new to all of this so I still have a lot to learn and do before I decide for sure which way to go. I want to say thank you to everyone in this forum that has helped out so far and thanks to the admins for a great forum.

cleburne red 07-24-2013 05:33 PM

A blown up front diff is the perfect opportunity for a solid axle swap!!

KM346 07-24-2013 08:17 PM

Ive replaced a couple front diffs in these trucks... Best way i found was to unbolt the passenger side tube before removal / installation. It can be a PITA to get it back into place but its doable without touching the MM's.

If your going to be doing a lot of off roading id suggest grabbing a bravada non disconnect axle tube / intermediate shaft while you're at it... It will prevent any issues with the front axle actuator in the future.

DiffBuster 07-24-2013 10:24 PM

Thanks for the tips!! I would have loved to go SAS but the funds are not available right now. I needed to just get her back together and back on the road. I've got a Honda CBR 600 F4i, so I've had transportation but I miss my blazer for hauling tools for side jobs and we haven't done any camping since I blew her up. I did get the diff back in tonight. I did take the axle tube off and took out the MM and jacked up the motor. I had to take off the pitman arm ( I think that is what it is called, it's what the tie rods are connected to and runs the width of the truck). I got the diff back in with no problem at that point. Still have to finish putting it back together. Then I am going to need an alignment I'm sure.

This has been a great learning experience for me. I have pretty good, natural mechanical aptitude but I have never really tore off into a vehicle like this before. I had never done any offroading before either. I am stoked about doing some modifications now. Really wish I could of done solid axle. I'm thinking about maybe just buying another little truck and turning the Blazer into my toy. I've seen some pretty sweet rigs since I've been in this forum and with all of the help and experience available here, I'm sure I can do anything I wanted with her.