Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

DIY Air Horn Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Starting Member
Buck731 is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Air Horn Installation

Ok, I completed the install of my WOLO Model 417 Long Horns on my 2004 LS 4X4. Be forewarned that WOLO does NOT supply enough air line for the way I did it! Here is how I did it. I have both my stock horn and the air horns functioning independently.

Started by Removing the Front Clip and drilling 1/4" hole on each side of the hood latch bracket. (drivers side is a bit lower for fitment).

Once drilled I mounted the Trumpets and ran the air lines included in the kit to the plastic splitter included in the kit. On the input side I used a silicon Heater hose with a slightly smaller ID than the clear lines that came in the kit. I ran the heater hose under the radiator support to the inner fender on the passenger side...and zip tied in place.

Then, removed the Battery from the truck to gain access to the inner fender. Once I located a factory hole I could utilize, I decided that's the mounting place for the compressor. I had to enlarge the hole a bit for the bolt to go thru (3/16" drill bit).

Installed the wiring on the compressor per the instructions. To ground the compressor I ran a wire up to the grounding bold for the stock horn. I terminated the positive wire and air line on the compressor at this time to minimize have to take it in and out a million times. Mounted the compressor between the fender and the inner fender.

Found a second factory hole to mount the relay to. I wired the relay per instructions and mounted to inner fender just before the PCM.

Ran a single wire into the cabin (Redneck Style for now) of the vehicle. Inside I fabricated a cover for the CD Holder in the center console and installed a 30A Toggle switch. For power for the switch I spliced into the cigarette lighters power supply.

Once all wires were terminated to the switch...I re-installed the battery to do a test. Once it worked I made sure everything was tightened down and then re-assembled the truck!

I hope this helps anyone looking to install electric air horns on their 2nd Gen!!!

Attached Thumbnails DIY Air Horn Installation-ptdc0006_zps809e01c0.jpg   DIY Air Horn Installation-ptdc0009_zps072b6856.jpg   DIY Air Horn Installation-ptdc0016_zps85e3cf14.jpg   DIY Air Horn Installation-ptdc0013_zps7cc29b94.jpg   DIY Air Horn Installation-ptdc0018_zps6e948ba0.jpg  

DIY Air Horn Installation-ptdc0012_zps6ff08915.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 AM
uhlhazard is on a distinguished road

I put a set of those on my wifes truck, good bang for the buck for a louder horn. I love your inner fender location of the pump. After a while the horns will get quiet, just pull the pump and clen it (works like a transmission pump) I add a light bit of synthetic grease to the moving parts. Seems to need this about once a year.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

how much is this kit?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:06 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

google train horn videos
make me LMAO
https://www.google.ca/#q=train+horn+pranks

Old 04-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

What did you use to supply more air? I can only assume that the pump isn't from the kit.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
What did you use to supply more air? I can only assume that the pump isn't from the kit.

again google , there are kits out there
they usually have a small storage tank

Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Starting Member

Richphotos: This kit goes for $40 at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Starting Member

tajohns, The compressor I am using is the one included with the WOLO Long Horns Kit.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Starting Member

uhlhazard, It took me a good bit of thinking before I figured out the compressor would fit in there. Thank you for the heads up on the cleaning and greasing. That will be remembered

Old 02-28-2019, 09:08 AM
Starting Member
FUN-V is on a distinguished road

might sound dumb, but where are the stock horns actually located?

Quick Reply: DIY Air Horn Installation