Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Green Eggs & Ham

Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

ok i'll just wait impatiently!!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rexmburns
ok i'll just wait impatiently!!
Just for you Rex, I'll try and get it done as fast as possible.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy happy dance!!!!

I'll be waiting patiently with instant email notification of any new posts in your thread lol!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm back from vaca and still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I move slowly. Two of the parts I had bought to do the mod ended up being the wrong size, and the parts I need will be an additional $60ish. I'm terminally cheap so I've been putting off buying them. I have tomorrow off, so I'll get the parts and try to have it done then. Watch, I'll get this posted up and find out you did it a year ago. I'm definitely not the first to do this mod to the s-series truck, but I can't remember seeing anyone doing this on the forum here recently.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'll be waiting

Or should I say stalking.....

Last edited by rexmburns; 07-29-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

There's all this hype to it now, it better be good! lol You've got me wanting to know what it is now too.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 PM
BF Veteran

Now I'm scared that this has gotten too built up and it won't be as cool to you as it is to me. Things rarely go smoothly for me and this little project was no different. I ended up having to change plans, mounting points and parts several times, but I'm kinda stoked about this, and I'll likely be doing this mod to my Durango too at some point. Anyways, after 3 trips to the parts store trying to find the exact parts I need, I'm finally finished this mod. I'll start with a photo.

Notice something missing? The hood prop rod isn't up you say? Yup. That stupid thing drives me crazy every time I have to work under the hood. Now I understand why it wasn't an option on my Blazer, but on my '07 fully loaded Durango it's a downright shame.

Like I said earlier, I'm not the first to do this mod, and quite possibly some people on here have already done it too. It was something I've wanted to do for several years, and I first saw it on the S10 forum. I followed fairly closely what was done over there. I used 2 56lb lift rods. I think you might get away with anything between 45lbs and 60lbs. 30lb rods are definitely not strong enough. I used stainless steel bolts to attach all but the upper passenger side mount. That one just didn't have access to put on the nut so I used rivets. This was the first time I've ever used a rivet, but it seems to hold just fine. The lower mounts I attached right beside the upper rubber hood guide. The hood mounts I attached centered over a small dimple on the side of the main ridge. Here's a couple more photos if you're interested.

As you can see, I had to remove the vacuum ball from the bottom of the hood and stash it below. I realize that this is a highly sensitive piece of equipment, but hopefully it won't throw off the system too much.

I did paint the metal after drilling the hole since it will definitely be exposed to water. I do think I'm going to reinforce the rain tray, since it does flex when the hood is up.

Attached Thumbnails Green Eggs & Ham-9403981237_880755e850.jpg   Green Eggs & Ham-9403980101_c262cf75ac.jpg   Green Eggs & Ham-9406737058_238fef6f22.jpg  

Last edited by El_Beautor; 07-30-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Nice, I've been wanting to do that to mine for a while now too. There's a write-up on the ZR2 site on how to do it as well. It's just low on the priority list at the moment.

I imagine it's quite nice not having to deal with the rod now.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

I like I like!!! I to had looked into it but just haven't pulled the trigger on it. I am really happy you did it cause now we can get feedback, tips, and tricks from you when it's our turn Very nice mod I guess I'm going to get some lift rods today! JK but I will be copying you someday!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Green Eggs & Ham