Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   gt.speid's 2002 LS build - Red Fox (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/gt-speids-2002-ls-build-red-fox-76032/)

gt.speid 12-26-2012 08:00 AM

gt.speid's 2002 LS build - Red Fox

8 Attachment(s)
Hey there guys. I'm getting started on building up my new (to me) blazer, which is a 2002 LS model 4x4.

Here are some pics from the day I got it:
Attachment 10786
Attachment 10787
Attachment 10788
Attachment 10789

So far, I've gotten this done:
1. Disabled DRLs/AHLs
2. Disabled Autolocks on Doors
3. Installed a Hitch

I have some new things coming up on the table for it in the near future.
1. Yakima MegaWarrior Roof Basket - I have this on order at work (I work at a bicycle shop)
2. Brush Guard from Hunter Truck Accessories - this will be ordered later this evening.
3. CB radio install - My gf got me a Cobra Ultra III for Christmas, and my grandfather gave me one of his awesome old antennas from back when he drove truck back in the 70s & 80s.

These are some plans that I have for the future:
1. KC Fog light install on brushguard along with Rally Lights on the front of the roof basket, as well as some basic fog lights for each side of the basket and some backup lights for the rear of the basket.
2. K&N Air Filter Install
3. Put bedliner on the bumpers and door lowers.
4. Install Tire Carrier on Rear and relocate the spare to there, then get a second full sized spare and mount that to the roof basket.
5. Then maybe, just maybe, a lift kit, but we'll have to see about that. I really like the way the truck handles now, and I would really hate to compromise that.

I'll post pictures of things as I go along and keep you updated. That's all for now, folks. Farewell.

blaz 12-26-2012 10:30 AM

Looks clean. We all like progression pics.

serrasalmus 12-26-2012 12:25 PM

if u got any cb questions let me know i can help u

gt.speid 12-26-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by blaz (Post 558353)
Looks clean. We all like progression pics.

I'll be sure to get some up as I get more things done. I thought about taking one of the hitch, but I figured most everyone knows what a hitch looks like, so I figured I would wait a bit until I get some more done.

Originally Posted by serrasalmus (Post 558363)
if u got any cb questions let me know i can help u

Thanks! I think I've got it all pretty well understood. My dad used to do a lot with CBs, but now he's more into Ham radio. I'll probably be looking into getting my Ham radio license sometime in 2013 and then I'll have to install one of those in the truck as well.

One question I do have though, did you run the power for you CB strait from the battery? If yes, where in the firewall did you run the wire through? I'm mounting mine where the flip-down ashtray/cig lighter was, and I'm trying to figure out where the best/closest place to thread the wires through is at. I can't seem to find where any of the factory wiring holes were at.

gt.speid 12-29-2012 09:15 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Alright, so today my antenna cable arrived. I got 18' of the firestik brand cable. The antenna spring arrived a couple of days ago. Now the only thing I'm waiting on is the mount itself. I ordered one of these:

Firestik SS 204A Hatch Door Jamb Antenna Mount | eBay

As of this morning, I still hadn't received shipment confirmation, so I went online to check things out and saw a note from the seller - "I am currently away until Dec 31, 2012. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order.":icon_doh:

So, looks like I'll be waiting a good bit before the CB is up and running.

Here is the pic of my CB Unit:
Attachment 10894
My antenna w/ spring and cable:
Attachment 10893

With me getting into CB, its has rekindled my dad's interest in his old Ham radio stuff. He keeps telling me I should get my Ham radio license. I bought a study manual and I plan on testing for it someday, but all things in good time. He pulled his old gear out of the garage on thursday and he's sending his main base unit out to a guy to have it tuned up. He already had his main unit packed up, so I only got a pic of all of his other gear.
Attachment 10895

In other news, my bull bar was ordered and shipped. It departed Hutchins, TX yesterday and is set to be here on the 2nd! I have off work that day, so I'll probably be installing that immediately after the box shows up at my house.

Also, my order for my Yakima MegaWarrior Roof Basket will be sent out when we do our next parts order at work on the 3rd, and should arrive on the 5th! Next week is going to be an exciting week, as far as my blazer is concerned.

gt.speid 01-07-2013 08:59 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Well, I got a good bit done to the blazer over the past week and this weekend. I just didn't have any time to post it up until now.

My Hunter brush guard arrived early in the week and I installed it thursday morning before heading out for work. It was an easy install and took about 2 1/2 hours working on it alone. I can't wait to get some fog lights mounted to it and wired up.
Attachment 11185

Then yesterday, I finally got around to installing my CB. I removed the little flip down ashtray and mounted the CB in its place. I ran the wiring out behind the glove box to the front passenger's door and then up through the right fender straight to the battery. I would've preferred to run it through the firewall, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me where the pre-existing holes for wires were at.

Install pics:
Attachment 11186
Attachment 11187

I had put a yakima roof basket on order at work last week, but we delayed our order, so it will probably show up this wednesday or thursday. I'm looking forward to getting that put on too.

Edit: I just realized that the brush guard looks mad crooked in the picture, I promise it's on straight though :icon_playing:

rexmburns 01-07-2013 11:02 AM

Looks good! You may want to consider moving your attenna up and mounting it inside the tailgate near the top of the taillight unless clearance is an issue for you. You will find that with it mounted so low you won't be able to pick up much signal from any sort of distance in front of you. Check out my build I had mine on the bumper end cap similar to yours and I moved it up and I couldn't be happier with the improvement of the range I got.

Edit: Figured I'd save you some time! Page 6 of my build thread shows the original mount and location and page 14 shows the new location. I have other pics somewhere on the forum that shows the mount but I can post them here if need be as well just let me know.

gt.speid 01-07-2013 04:45 PM

Thanks rex! Yeah, I first tried mounting right above the tail light, just like you said, but my drill didn't want to go through the metal. I'll probably borrow a drill and some decent bits from work tomorrow and relocate it.

rexmburns 01-07-2013 04:57 PM

I just made a small pilot hole and then used some self tapping hex head screws and it has worked great so far!

gt.speid 01-07-2013 06:50 PM

Oh, I didn't even think about that. I guess that would be a lot easier than trying to drill it all out. Thanks for the good idea.