Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   HELP!!! Need advice on LS/LT swap on 01 Blazer (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/help-need-advice-ls-lt-swap-01-blazer-61288/)

BGesell 07-20-2011 01:47 AM

HELP!!! Need advice on LS/LT swap on 01 Blazer

Alright guys, thanks for reading and thanks for any advice you can throw my way. Now, I have an 01 Blazer 2D 4x4 Blazer with about 130K on the odometer. I am starting to get a small rod knock and know it's about time to R&R the stock 4.3 or I can go the labor intensive, down right obnoxious conversion to a V8. I'm thinking route 2. I would like to swap in an ls or lq series engine preferably, but if I have to go with an LT then I'll have to go that way, but let's try to avoid that at all costs.
I've found a couple different website that offer conversion kits, but they only go up to 2000. I need to know what the difference is, if any at all between model years 2000 and 2001. If there is a difference, I'm going to need some help on mounts, trans and/or bellhousing adapter for the stock 4l60E. I'd like to keep the factory crossmember. That being said, I know there is a problem with finding oil pans for these things, so if anyone knows of a direct bolt on pan that with clear the 4-wheel drive, please send pics or info of any kind. If I have to, I'll convert the truck to a dry sump to solve the clearance issues but, thats a lot more money then I would like to spend. Now for the electrical, if I went with the LS conversion, is there an aftermarket wiring harness, or is it a trace and splice kind of deal? I'm short on time guys, this rod keeps knocking and it's getting louder by the day. Tomorrow, Im gonna have to do the hoosier trick and use Lucas or a 50/50 mix of 5w20 and 15w40 + Lucas :(
If all goes well and enough info is collected, I will make a full picture oriented write up of the install along with a list of problems you might run into along the way. Any pics, links or help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Brandon G.

Thogert 07-20-2011 03:46 AM

Well I can't help you with all of that but good luck, it looks like you have quite a project on your hands and welcome to the forum.

racer1044 07-20-2011 07:58 PM

horsepower tv did a 5.3 swap if im not mistaken on a newer 2nd gen 4x4. They had to do some extensive work on the oil pan to get it to fit. Im sure you can find the videos on youtube.

Zanders 07-20-2011 09:19 PM

S10 V8 Swap/Conversion Community
I saw these guys before, check them out they have links for manuals on the conversion, parts and more. Though im not familiar with the LS and LT engines, you can get one hell of a 350, it called the 350 ramjet engine (350hp):icon_angel:

Ugly_Monkey 07-20-2011 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by BGesell (Post 447427)
I'm short on time guys

Not the best way to start a project like this!

Go get a junk yard 4.3, drop it in taking measurements and pics as you do it (mounts, harness, connectors, ect.) then take the time to make sure you have all the parts and money lined up to do the v8 swap, plus some extra. Then start this project!

Hope it Helps!

ChiCityBlazen 07-27-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by racer1044 (Post 447576)
horsepower tv did a 5.3 swap if im not mistaken on a newer 2nd gen 4x4. They had to do some extensive work on the oil pan to get it to fit. Im sure you can find the videos on youtube.

Yeah Horsepower TV did a LS1 swap on a 2000 4x4 with the end result being 313HP at the rear wheels. The show did mention and show some of the work they had to do by they also have dvds from the show. Check out PowerBlock.com or just google Horsepower TV. The dvds are $5.95 plus shipping and handling. The swap was covered in 2 parts and the show dvd numbers are HP2010-22 and HP2011-01. There is also a company online that has a plug and play wiring called Current Performance and check them out at currentperformance.com regarding the harness.

I looked the info up after seeing part 2 of the swap.

Good luck

tibby 07-27-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zanders (Post 447594)
S10 V8 Swap/Conversion Community
I saw these guys before, check them out they have links for manuals on the conversion, parts and more. Though im not familiar with the LS and LT engines, you can get one hell of a 350, it called the 350 ramjet engine (350hp):icon_angel:

That ram jet engine looks vicious lol. But that thing looks like it would give the ls a run for its money haha. But that crate engine will run you around $6,000 and that is a good amount of money. Good thing is it comes with almost everything you'll need to get it going.

racer1044 07-27-2011 03:34 PM

I have been reading up a lot on this subject. I dont see too many advantages of going with a "LS" You can pull a 5.3 outta the junkyard for cheap. The heads dont flow as well as the ls engines out of a camaro or vetter. But you can swap the intake manifold for the ls series engines which helps with hood clearence. As far as swapping it into a stock 4wd appears to be a real pain with clearence for the oil pan. I am planning a SFA swap so I hope I dont run into any issues. My 4.3 just rolled 215xxx and I dont think its ever gonna die.