Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   I totalled my Blazer, and the wife agreed to disagree on fixing it....so here we go.. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/i-totalled-my-blazer-wife-agreed-disagree-fixing-so-here-we-go-76976/)

Jonboy 02-02-2013 11:27 PM

I totalled my Blazer, and the wife agreed to disagree on fixing it....so here we go..

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I was in a wreck on the interstate the Friday before Christmas. Totalled the Blazer. :icon_cry: Prior to that it had never been wrecked, save for a Buck that unfortunately got in the way about 4 years ago. I would have just let the truck go, except for the fact that the engine (a Jasper) only has 30k miles on it, and I just had new steering components and ball joints installed. It runs (ran) great, and I have a hard time giving up a "utility" vehicle (the other cars are a Volvo V70 wagon, a Chrysler Town and Country, and a Triumph Spitfire, and none of them have a towing pacakge or 4 wheel drive). The insurance adjuster said at least $3,800 to fix it - I think I can do it for considerably less....and the buy-back value was only $474 from the insurance company, so I felt like I could at least sell it for more than that in parts if I decide not to fix it. They valued it at dealer quality, and I think that was fair, as it was in really good shape....just old (1999) with high miles (197,554).

Anyway, I'm very mechanically inclined and have pretty much all the tools I need. I have a Haynes Manual, but have never tackled anything quite like this before (everything I've ever done has been electrical or mechanical - no body work). I don't think the frame is damaged, but I know I'll have to have that checked out professionally.

So, I've attached a photo of what I'm up against. Both the fenders, the hood, both headlights, the grill, the radiator (which I replaced a couple of years back myself), the cooling fan attached to the water pump, and all of the sheetmetal around the radiator....

Looking for any/all advice, especially anything that the Haynes may not be good at pointing out (they are good, but certainly not the end all be all). Also, considering whether to get new (aftermarket, not GM) body parts or to go with salvage parts. Any advice here would be appreciated. I'd like to make it look new again, as the rest of the truck is in great shape. This may sound prissy, but my wife would not be thrilled about keeping (much less, driving) a vehicle if the body panels don't match.

Thanks!

Jonboy

Twip 02-03-2013 12:14 AM

with that many miles on it, it may not be worth fixing. everything that you just did to it is probably junk now from the accident. sure, its not all that hard to fix. a word of advice though, pull as many of the panels back out to the original shape as you can before you remove them and start on the core support.

Good luck with that labor of love. i know the feeling.

chris015 02-03-2013 04:00 AM

it honestly doesnt look that bad of a repair unless there is more damage then we think so far. pull the panels off and get a look at the frame etc make sure its ok. If you have a pull it yourself yard around your area you can fix the blazer for about 300 bucks.

edit : you are in NC. there is a pull it yard in Raleigh and goldsboro

newguy 02-03-2013 05:05 AM

Ask your wife if she would be rather paying a loan for several years plus higher ins or a few hundred now

10-78 edac 02-03-2013 07:11 AM

Bolting on parts is easy enough. Paint matching can be more of a challenge, maybe take the parts to be painted before bolting them on.

chris015 02-03-2013 07:22 AM

^^ yep his color isnt really common. if it was red he'd be golden.

chestypuller 02-03-2013 08:39 AM

kick it to the crusher with that many miles and salvage title.

Twip 02-03-2013 10:00 AM

well after looking at the picture again, if you decided to keep it, you should probably change the motor and tranny mounts.

rexazz2 02-03-2013 10:10 AM

it looks like the hit was almost above the bumper
I did a malibu years ago after my buddy run into a power pole
I was pretty happy with the end results
I had to tweak the frame to bumper area back with a sledge hammer
He had found a donor vehicle that I salvaged the front clip from
Basically we sold the donor car for the same as what he bought it for as scrap

Looks like yours is pewter color , I swear just about every blazer in my area was pewter

rexazz2 02-03-2013 10:17 AM

here is one in your area for cheap ,keep yours for a parts vehicle
2000 Blazer