Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2001 Blazer 4x4 project Rigger Mortis

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Beginning Member
BlazinAmazin is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer 4x4 project Rigger Mortis

OK, I bought this beautiful truck back in November of 2010. It had 149,000 miles, but it was well taken care of. All new front end parts, new tires and brakes. I suspect a new tranny as well. Went to look at a 98, the same color, they sold it, but told me on the phone it was there, then they gave me this one for the same price. I test drove it, and the temperature pegged within 3 traffic lights! So I limped it back, they promised to fix it, and still sell it to me at the agreed price. they were lucky I am a mechanic, and knew how to limp home an overheated car, or they would have been out major repairs. As it was, it was just a radiator, they put a new one in, I've been happily driving it ever since.

Here's what it looked like when I got it :

So far, I have only done minor things. A set of step bars to load up the Kayaks, and got rid of the UGLY Oldsmobile Bravada left over rims! (Hate that Chevy ever used them) Got some used decent rims for $100 The previous owner of the Blazer had the white letters turned in, I corrected that mistake, and put the white letters out as they should be!

As she sits now :

I just picked up some S10 steelies that I intend to shoot gunmetal gray metallic, and get some bigger tires.

I'm going to keep two sets of wheels for it, highway tires, and off road tires on the steelies.

This is what I'm going to put on the roof!

Soon I want to do the following

2" rear shackles
T-Bar crank
replace the hitch
remove wheel moulding

I have other ideas, but keeping it simple for now. Just put on my Thule kayak rack this morning!

Last edited by BlazinAmazin; 04-09-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member

OK, why are my flickr pictures not working?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlazinAmazin
OK, why are my flickr pictures not working?
Because they do not have a valid image file extension (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc). The links are to a webpage, not to the actual photo.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member

Thank You! I will work on it.

Fixed!

Last edited by BlazinAmazin; 04-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Beginning Member

just put the kayaks on it for the first time yesterday, went for an 11 mile trip down the Hocking River.

good times! I love this truck!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Nice!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Looks good. Just out of curiosity, how bad do the kayaks hurt your gas mileage?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
Looks good. Just out of curiosity, how bad do the kayaks hurt your gas mileage?
Not bad really. I even had the AC on, (it was 85 in central Ohio yesterday!) and it actually surprised me. 82 mile round trip, and I burnt a 1/4 tank. I think thats pretty decent. It was almost all highway.

the biggest thing was the wind! it was blowing straight across the highway most of the way back, and those kayaks acted like sails!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Beginning Member

Was thinking about a tubular roof rack retrofit. Any suggestions?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I just installed new inner and outer tie rods and got it re-aligned. Next is the dreaded steering box!

Just ordered a Superlift steering damper kit from Summit Racing too.

She's a little swervy with the kayaks on, so I'm trying to tighten it up as much as possible.

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer 4x4 project Rigger Mortis