Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   my MINNESNOWTA winter beater build! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/my-minnesnowta-winter-beater-build-91101/)

hylander6361 11-05-2015 01:11 AM

my MINNESNOWTA winter beater build!

14 Attachment(s)
alright so i decided to start a build thread for my 1998 blazer (new to me) so far i havent done a whole lot but plans are building. right now i am concentrating on getting it road worthy, it has some special needs right now nothing too serious. BUT i did pick up some bed liner and POR-15 rust proofer and had a blast so this is where ill start. also did the quad light mod and have HID's in both hi and lo beams 55wat 6000k kits.

mechanically i will have new distributor and cap, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new front wheel hubs and bearings, new brake pads and rotors all the way around, new pitman arm, new idler arm, new upper and lower ball joints.

hylander6361 11-18-2015 07:25 PM

just wanted to do a quick update. i hit a deer with my charger the day i picked up my blazer from the shop. FML get one back and the other goes into the shop. just my luck. anywho, this is everything i had done:

top and bottom ball joints
pitman arm
idler arm
front hubs
all four brake rotors and pads done
new distributor and cap
new plug wires
new spark plugs
remote oil cooler lines replaced
trans filter/fluid change
rear pinion seal on the rear diff replaced and new diff fluid
changed engine oil/filter
new wipers

still had an ABS light on, was a bit disappointed i thought that the new front speed sensors would fix that but it was still on. then i had a headlight issue both hi and low beams on the drivers side were not working. figured that out today i had a blown fuse. most likely due to my quad HID headlight mod. replaced that fuse and the right side went replaced that one and now its fine. ON the bright side (pun intended) while i was in there i noticed i was missing one big A** fuse. a 60A fuse, turned out to be the ABS fuse!!! WTF right??? went to my local napa and picked up a new one for 2 bucks and popped it in and what do ya know! no more ABS light!!! yayyyy!!!

will be working on converting to LEDs in most exterior lights, hopefully will be picking up some aftermarket headlights and taillights with a clear blinker lens so i can use switchback LEDs. and i just found out i have fog lights today never noticed until today since they are integrated in the lower part of the headlight!!

waiting for xmas i may have a bull bar up front or some nerf bars on the sides, then ill be pick up a roof rack and a few light bars. will be well on my way. im hoping to make it through this winter with the tires i have but i doubt i will be able to. want to wait so i can spend the money on some nobby 31's this summer!

richphotos 11-18-2015 08:06 PM

The fog lights are completely useless unfortunately. They are too high off of the ground to have any real impact when driving in the fog.

Looks like you are putting in some work!

hylander6361 11-18-2015 08:48 PM

yeah they didnt do that much when i turned them on... might try to rig up something and add some fog lights down lower and run the wires from the useless fog lights down to those ones so i can use the factory switch. dont know if that is possible.

yeah i got a pretty good deal on it, going into it knowing what had to be done helped alot. so i dont feel bad putting some coin into it. it runs alot better now though!!! just need an alignment done and will be driving straight. also thinking about doing a Ac compressor delete, mine doesnt work anyway and its my winter beater so wont be needing it anyway.

richphotos 11-18-2015 09:24 PM

What parts of MN are you from, I am from the Saint Louis Park area.

hylander6361 11-18-2015 09:28 PM

SE down by rochester

CWBDDSPC 11-18-2015 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos (Post 657454)
What parts of MN are you from, I am from the Saint Louis Park area.

I graduated from Brooklyn Center, before it became the ghetto....

richphotos 11-18-2015 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by hylander6361 (Post 657455)
SE down by rochester

Nice area down there. I have a done a few photo shoots around that area.
It looks like you could see some accumulating snow Friday (not much for your area, more so into IA

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC (Post 657456)
I graduated from Brooklyn Center, before it became the ghetto....

Before it became the ghetto.. LMAO I love it!

Continuation from my response above, you could see some pretty decent amounts of snow in IA depending on your location.

hylander6361 11-18-2015 09:49 PM

hahah yeah, doubt it will stick, ground isnt frozen yet. but i cant wait for some real snow to try out the 4x4, though like i said i dont have the best tires so im not expecting a whole lot, but i am happy i have ABS back now

richphotos 11-18-2015 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by hylander6361 (Post 657460)
hahah yeah, doubt it will stick, ground isnt frozen yet. but i cant wait for some real snow to try out the 4x4, though like i said i dont have the best tires so im not expecting a whole lot, but i am happy i have ABS back now

It definitely could stick to grassy surfaces and bridges/overpasses. And some less traveled side streets depending on how heavy it ends up falling

(sorry, my inner weather nerd kicking in, have done work with the NWS and FOX 9 weather for numerous years)

This year I do not think we will see anything "huge" I think most of the large storms will stay south of us, we will just get the cold from it. Lets see in the spring if I was right haha!

Glad you got the ABS working, I wonder why the fuse was pulled.