Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

LS Swap on a College Budget

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Starting Member
PaulDTLA is on a distinguished road
Default LS Swap on a College Budget

Hey Ladies and Gents,

I am currently a junior in college with a double major in Film Production and Accounting. I am a longtime avid car lover, and I got a real bad itch to own a classic truck. I've been saving money from my on-campus job; and after doing some research, it seems like the 1969-1972 Chevy Blazer meets all of my needs as far as looks and being a 4x4 SUV with power brakes, power steering, and towing ability (5000lb max). (I'm currently looking for one, so if you have the whereabouts to an affordable one, please let me know.)

That being said, once I get a hold of one, I am contemplating doing a LS swap. I already have my hands on a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with a 71k mile Vortec and a 4l60e tranny (I think?) that I bought at auction years ago. I don't have any crazy build plans or showroom quality aspirations, but I would like to accomplish these things:

1. Swap engine and trans from Tahoe

2. Swap buckets & rear bench seats from Tahoe

3. Swap power brake booster & reservoir from Tahoe

4. Paint (Medium Olive) and bodywork (Prefer the ‘69/’70 Grille)

5. Power coat frame and underbody (for rust prevention)

6. Weld a roll cage into the frame (for my safety)

I know that problems will arise from rust on rockers (and possibly floor), wiring harness, engine mounts, 4x4 transfer case, and engine cross member; but realistically, what other problems come with this sort of territory? I don’t have the tools or the knowledge to build it myself so I would need to have a shop do the work. Is this reasonably possible on a $5-7k budget (not including the cost of the car)? If any of you have experience with LS swapping a 4x4 Blazer, I’d definitely appreciate any input and words of wisdom that you can provide. The last thing I want is for this to turn into a money pit.