Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

89 S15 4.3L Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 04:11 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default 89 S15 4.3L Engine Build

NOS Edelbrock Valve Covers
Edelbrock Intake Manifold
Edelbrock Cam Shaft
Edelbrock Roller Timing Chain
Edelbrock Timing Gear Set
Edelbrock OBD 1 Chip
1.51 Ratio Roller Rockers
Sanden Air Compressor
Tuff Stuff Power Steering Pump
Replaced AC/Air Pump Mounting Bracket with a single AC mount Bracket pulled from the junkyard
Replaced the stock AC support rod that mounted to the Intake/Top of the block with a junkyard support rod that mounts to the face of the block (water pump bolt/stud)
Replacing the AC Bracket and the support rod freed up a threaded hole next to the thermostat housing and at the lower end of the block on the passenger side.
Alternator ground relocated from the thermostat housing stud to the threaded hole next to the thermostat housing.
Engine ground was located from the passenger side Intake manifold bolt/stud to the threaded hold on the face of the block.
ARP bolts were used for Valve Covers, Intake and Exhaust Manifold and the Crank Shaft center bolt.

Notice that single mount AC Comp Bracket, Support rod mounted to the face of the water pump and the ground relocation to the face of the block.

Notice the ground stud next to the thermostat housing and the support rod for the AC bracket. No ground strap on the passenger side cylinder head. Moved to the face of the block.

Last edited by mr.vls; 02-27-2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:39 PM

Attached is a pic junkyard AC bracket as pulled and after blasting and painting. This eliminated the provision for the air pump and freed up a bolt hole on the face of the block.

Junkyard AC Bracket as pulled from the truck.

Same bracket blasted and painted.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:08 PM
Default Transmission Line Installation

Installed and connected the transmission Cooling lines to the radiator. This was a real PIA. I had to remove the Y-Pipe, the Cat, Trans Crossmember and lower the engine down to access the transmission tube connections.
Once I was able to get both lines ran between the engine and transmission I was able to connect the lines to the radiator with out much difficulty.
The transmission connection was another story. The tubing was not centered perfectly to the flare fittings and it was very difficult to get the flare nuts to start threading on. It took my over 2 hours to get the lower fitting to thread on. I never could get the upper fitting tubing nut to thread on.
I finally decided to remove the flare fitting from the transmission and thread in onto the tube flare nut and thread the transmission fitting on to the transmission. This whole evolution took me over 5 hours.

Note: In order to tighten the flare nuts I used a flare nut crowfoot wrench through the wheel well. This worked very well.
I also blasted both lines before installation.

Radiator Connections to transmission.

Transmission Connections looking through the wheel well, and very little space to work in.

Transmission connections looking from underneath.

Transmission connections looking from underneath a little closer.

Transmission connections looking from underneath.