Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   solid axle swap help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/solid-axle-swap-help-89616/)

95blazin 04-21-2015 07:01 PM

solid axle swap help

ok i know there is a lot of stuff on here and ive read and read a lot of it but it would be a lot easier to start a new post.....

I have a 98 blazer 4x4 that im goin to be doin a sas to soon and i just want some ideas of what axles i should go with and what trucks i should get them out of ....i dont really want a dana 30 would rather have a dana 44...

Also with the front axle does it matter if its a high pinion or not ?

plan on running 35'' or 37'' tires...not sure what gears i want to go with either so any help would be great thanks

Diablo Rojo 05-15-2015 02:37 PM

Do you plan on any modification to the drive train? What kind of suspension are you planning? What do you plan to use your truck for with the SAS, like is it a daily driver with occasional trail riding, mudding, rock crawling flexy beast, etc...? How much lift do you want, are you planning to trim fenders or raise it high enough to clear those big tires?

How much work are you wanting to put into this transformation? Axles will require some modification from gear swaps to cut and turn of "C"s and possibly shorten full size axles if you don't want full size axles under your rig. And then the brackets for leaf springs or long arms with coils or whatever your flavor of suspension.

Depending what you want the HP and LP is just a debate more for clearance and strength issues for rock crawling.

But for those size of tires you will need gears. 4.10's maybe, 4.30-4.56 better...

B King 05-31-2015 10:26 PM

I am currently running wagoneer 44s as well as the front wagoneer springs sua. I am using 4.56 gears on 33s. Works really well!.

Diablo Rojo 06-01-2015 07:09 AM

B King, Do you have any pics of your set-up? I am debating SUA or SOA. I can't make up my mind. I have the waggy front and an Isuzu rear.

abig84 06-03-2015 01:28 PM

high pinion aint gonna make a difference unless youre lifting it really high. i have chevy 10 bolts front and back with about 9 inches of lift and im fine. few more inches and i might start to have front driveshaft issues though

when i did mine i just goggled s10 sfa swap and got ideas from other peoples builds

95blazin 06-29-2015 07:18 PM

yeah thanks for all your help....i ended up goin with dana 44 front hp and a dana 60 out of a 79 f250....got the rear in already and it fits great had to remount all the brackets but not a problem....got the front all torn apart just waiting on the sas kit from sky manufacturing should be a week or two...went with 5.38 gears cause plan on getting 38'' tires under it gona run with trailmaster lift springs in the front .....progress is goin slow but when i pull it out i will take some pics of it for anyone trying to do this

awesomeamerican1 04-13-2016 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by B King (Post 650257)
I am currently running wagoneer 44s as well as the front wagoneer springs sua. I am using 4.56 gears on 33s. Works really well!.

B King, I'd like to see some pictures of your set up! I'm planning on using wagoneer d44s for my sas, but am going to use coil springs for the front and either use long arms or a 3 link. Haven't made up my mind yet. Any info on your steering set-up would be helpful!

84's10blazzer 08-18-2018 07:33 PM

I am pretty new to this site and I haven't posted much. I have a 1984 s10 blazer with the rough country 2.5 lift, Powertraxx locker in the 10 bolt rear end. My 1st question is with the flange style CV axles is there anyone selling a stronger axle? Second, down the road I want to swap in Dana 44's or 60's is there a truck or jeep that direct swap that fits well on the width as I don't want to use custom axle lengths.Do the Wagoneer axles mentioned above swap in without the wheels sticking out more than a couple inches? I apologize in case I should have started my own thread (still learning)

Tom A 08-19-2018 12:20 PM

Mine has a low pinion D60 front out of a Chevy and a 14-bolt semi-floater rear. It also has an SM465 tranny and NP205 transfer case with a right side drop to make a Chevy front axle work. I'm running 37s with no fender trimming (but custom built bumpers and a slightly stretched wheelbase) and the front driveshaft angle is pretty steep, but it works.

Wagoneer D44s come in both a narrow track and a wide track. If you don't want your wheels to stick out, you'll want the narrow one. Another idea, if you want to run coil springs and a 4-link would be the axles from a Jeep Rubicon JK. They'll be a little more expensive, but they already have selectable lockers installed, and they're already set up for the suspension you want.

awesomeamerican1 09-15-2018 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 84's10blazzer (Post 694422)
I am pretty new to this site and I haven't posted much. I have a 1984 s10 blazer with the rough country 2.5 lift, Powertraxx locker in the 10 bolt rear end. My 1st question is with the flange style CV axles is there anyone selling a stronger axle? Second, down the road I want to swap in Dana 44's or 60's is there a truck or jeep that direct swap that fits well on the width as I don't want to use custom axle lengths.Do the Wagoneer axles mentioned above swap in without the wheels sticking out more than a couple inches? I apologize in case I should have started my own thread (still learning)

Take a look at my build thread. I'm just finishing up with a dana 44 sas swap but I went a little more crazy with it. Obviously the way easier way to go is with a leaf spring swap in the front like chevyriders did. But some of my photos should give you a good idea of how far stuff will stick out depending on the tire size you choose. I'm running 37x12.50x17s. FYI my waggy D44 is the narrow track from an 86 wagoneer.