Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   Subs in side compartments? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/subs-side-compartments-70080/)

b_merr 04-19-2012 09:39 AM

Subs in side compartments?

So I just bought a 2003 Xtreme and I'm hoping to keep most of the room in the back freed up. I've been looking for the last couple of days and I haven't seen anyone doing what I'm hoping I can get done. Does anyone know if there is enough room in the rear side compartments to put a small box with shallow mounted subs or maybe in the tailgate? If so could you help me out with some rough box dimensions? Any help would be great

El_Beautor 04-19-2012 10:50 AM

Are you any good with fiberglass? If so then there's lots of ways you can save space by molding the enclosure into unused spaces. If you're just looking to build a small box out of MDF to fit into a space its quite a bit more limiting.

Also, what size, make, and model of speakers are you hoping to use? What is your goal? Sound quality? Blow out the windows bass? You're only limited by your creativity and budget. I've seen guys build 12" subs into the front doors on S10's (they couldn't roll down their windows after, but their leg hair waved along with the bass).

MTopper 04-19-2012 11:23 AM

if you were to fiberglass the box, you could easily build 2 8s or shallow 10s into the side compartments no problem. tailgate is plausible also but you wouldn't be able to really use the trunk that easily if you do it. the tailgate has a metal piece that is removable allowing access to the wiper motor and glass pop mechanisms. remove that, figure out a way to brace the drop gate and youd be fine.

you can also glass in a box that only takes up the passenger side of the trunk and would give you a giant square of trunk space. i have a couple ideas and designs still from when i had my blazer for a simple 10 sealed or ported to take up the back right of the trunk area.

pm me if you want any ideas or plans for it.

Antbankz 04-19-2012 02:46 PM

mind posting pics of the side compartments so i understand what u guys are talking about?

b_merr 04-19-2012 03:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm not that great with fiberglass but I have a friend who can probably help me out. From what I've read though the quality would probably not be quite as good. If I can get some boxes in there though it'd be awesome.
I found these while looking for ideas. they mounted the amps in the compartments obviously but I think it'd be sick to get the subs in there.

b_merr 04-19-2012 03:11 PM

it sounds like fb is probably the only way to get them in there an i'm still not even positive if that would work but if anyone could get me a good tutorial on making one I think i might be able to pull it off. I was thinking shallow 8's but if i can get 10's in that'd be great. I don't have the actual subs picked out yet because i wanna know if its even plausible to pull off. If not I'll just stick with the 2 12" kicker L7's that are already in there.
So far as my style though, I'm not a basshead but I definitely like to bump every once in a while. I listen to a pretty big range of stuff so I'm more concerned about a full sound than being the loudest on the block.

b_merr 04-19-2012 11:38 PM

just found this

4 Attachment(s)
funny enough i found a couple of pictures on amazon while i was looking at subs. I think this is the route I'll end up going. If anyone can help me with how to make the box it'd be great.
Should I mount my amp in the back under the panel or should I put it under one of the front seats? I found a couple pics of these too.
I already have an amp but does anyone have suggestions on the shallow mount subs? I'm in college so money isn't exactly flowin but I'm not looking to skimp either.

Antbankz 04-20-2012 03:28 AM

idk about using that side comparment to build a custom sub box in there, probly plenty of easier/better ways to build a stealth box in rear cargo area instead of chopping up the side compartment just my opinion

Antbankz 04-20-2012 03:35 AM

just an idea and probly not a good one but what about gutting out 1 of those 6x9s/grill and having like an 8in or maybe 10in sub there? box would most likely have to be fiberglass though,just an idea but i know there would probly be a million better spots then there but might be cool/different

something like this, sorry if it looks ghetto,did it in like 5mins

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...3/subspot1.jpg

heres another one i found that u might like,pretty stealth/space saver

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...3/p1010005.jpg

b_merr 04-20-2012 10:04 AM

I don't really mind going under the paneling to get the sub mounted and to be honest, I like the custom job a little more. I like the second idea you posted too though Antbankz. If I did do something like that do you know how much different the sound would be? So far as rattling caused by the one under the panel what would should I expect?