Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   White 1999 4x4 (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/white-1999-4x4-66299/)

Chevy33 12-24-2011 07:52 PM

White 1999 4x4

White1999 pictures by Chevy33pics - Photobucket
The motor originally had a ticking sound before I rebuilt it. I don't really know how to inspect or test the lifters properly so I just looked for unusual wear and found none. Once removed from the motor, I had the lifters soaking in some transmission fluid for about a month while waiting for funds and parts. After the rebuild and initial starting of the motor the ticking was back. It has good oil pressure. I've added some Seafoam to the oil and run it for about twenty minutes. I have to let it sit for a bit as the radiator is leaking on the drivers side. I had filled the radiator and let the motor warm up. Once it was warm I turned on the heat but it was not blowing hot or even warm air. I could tell the blend door was working. I drove down the street a bit and got up to 60mph when I heard what sounded like a hose blowing out. No blown hose but the heat is working. The radiator is not leaking worse however the old water pump is leaking pretty good. I would normally install a new one on a build up but funds were tighter due to having to purchase some reworked used heads. I'll be needing a new radiator and water pump. I haven't noticed any oil leaks from my having to remove the oil pan gasket and timing cover to swap the balance shaft and cam keepers.
Expenses so far on this project are:
Truck purchase $1000 I drove about 80 miles to tow dolly it back $40.00 in gas.
Motor parts and labor $1000 (not including my time as I do this for fun.)
rings,main, rod & cam bearings
full gasket set
timing cover
used reworked heads $250.00
head bolts
oil lines
oil pressure sending unit
motor mounts
oil, filters
machine shop labor $175 (hot tanking, sizing, honing, cam bearing install)

Mike98Blazer 12-24-2011 08:22 PM

The blowout sound could have been a clog coming free in the heater core. as far as lifter tick I'm not sure, mine ticks but i've found that to be the PCV valve, i replaced it with a new one and it still rattles in there until you're on the throttle.

Chevy33 12-24-2011 08:35 PM

Ticking

I wish it was that. I was informed that the water froth can stop the lifter from working. I'm hoping the seafoam will do the trick. I would like to know how to test these lifters. I will get the WP and radiator replaced and let it run for a bit more to see if is takes care of itself.

Mike98Blazer 12-24-2011 08:38 PM

HA I forgot which was which and posted up thinking you were tearing this one down in your other thread. For the lifter tick I'm not sure how to test them but honestly if you tear it down and do the LIM gaskets while it's open (gotta pull the valve covers) you can take the lifter retainers off and just replace them. Not sure how expensive they are but they can't be THAT much for this motor considering they're probably identical to the 350's