Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Xtrmes10 97 ZR2 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Man that front end with coilovers looks so nice. Very sweet!

I know nothing about welding, but is that single arch upper support going to be strong enough to take off-roading abuse supporting the whole front end? It doesn't look like it's braced anywhere but the bottom of the arch? I'm not questioning your fabrication skills. I'm just curious about your build.

*EDIT* Maybe I'm wrong. Looking at the pictures again it looks like there might be a brace at the top of the arch as well. If you don't mind explaining to the inexperienced, how did you build the upper support for the coilovers?

Last edited by El_Beautor; 03-03-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Starting Member
xtrmes10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Man that front end with coilovers looks so nice. Very sweet!

I know nothing about welding, but is that single arch upper support going to be strong enough to take off-roading abuse supporting the whole front end? It doesn't look like it's braced anywhere but the bottom of the arch? I'm not questioning your fabrication skills. I'm just curious about your build.

*EDIT* Maybe I'm wrong. Looking at the pictures again it looks like there might be a brace at the top of the arch as well. If you don't mind explaining to the inexperienced, how did you build the upper support for the coilovers?
Its not just the arch. Theres two more tubes running from the back side of the arch. So its mounted in 4 places.
The first pics I posted they were not there yet. Its hard to see on the last pic because everything is painted.
The hoop is 1.5" chrome moly tube bent in a hoop with two gussets running out the back side. In the first pics I tach the main hoop in then I got the back gussets tacked in then I remove it and fully weld it. Its to hard to weld it in place. Then it just gets welded in place.
I've made a few of these on Jeeps and never had one break yet.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Beginning Member
rockbuggy4x4 is on a distinguished road

nice work. can't wait to see the finished product. how much lift are u looking at getting when your done?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xtrmes10
Its not just the arch. Theres two more tubes running from the back side of the arch. So its mounted in 4 places.
The first pics I posted they were not there yet. Its hard to see on the last pic because everything is painted.
The hoop is 1.5" chrome moly tube bent in a hoop with two gussets running out the back side. In the first pics I tach the main hoop in then I got the back gussets tacked in then I remove it and fully weld it. Its to hard to weld it in place. Then it just gets welded in place.
I've made a few of these on Jeeps and never had one break yet.
Thanks for the explaination. I think there's a lot of us that would love a coilover setup like that, although I seriously doubt I'll ever do it. Your build is looking awesome, and I can't wait to see it in action!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rockbuggy4x4
nice work. can't wait to see the finished product. how much lift are u looking at getting when your done?
Going to be around 9" total of suspension. The coil overs make it nice as far as ride and ajustability. I also have a 2" body lift.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Thanks for the explaination. I think there's a lot of us that would love a coilover setup like that, although I seriously doubt I'll ever do it. Your build is looking awesome, and I can't wait to see it in action!
No problem always happy to share how I do things.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 AM
ryansim2025 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xtrmes10
Going to be around 9" total of suspension. The coil overs make it nice as far as ride and ajustability. I also have a 2" body lift.
This will look awesome when its all back together. May I ask, why didn't you go with a SA swap? I'm all for what you're doing, but I'm curious because this seems like a lot of work, and I'm wondering how much more (if any) work a SA swap would be.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ryansim2025
This will look awesome when its all back together. May I ask, why didn't you go with a SA swap? I'm all for what you're doing, but I'm curious because this seems like a lot of work, and I'm wondering how much more (if any) work a SA swap would be.
I already have an SFA 91 S-10. This one started out as a basic Superlift install and took a turn someplace along the line. I hate the way the T-bars look hanging down so it was going to be a simple coilover install. Except they wouldn't fit so it ended up needed to cut the frame new shock mounts. It's about the same amount of work as doing an SFA.
This one was going to be more of a driver when I first started. But now I'm going for more of an expedition vertical.
Once the lift and body work is done I'm going to start adding the expedition stuff. Roof top tent, water storage pull out kitchen, shower things along that line.
Was going to go with a trailer but I think I want to keep everything on board.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Starting Member

I got all the rest of the parts painted over the weekend. Got the front spindles cleaned up and painted. New hubs and dust shields and seals installed ready to install. Just waiting on the front diff seals so I can put the axles in and put it together for the last time.

Then I have to measure and build the tie rods and sleeves. Modify the exhaust put the brakes on then on to the rear. That should be allot quicker.

Attached Thumbnails Xtrmes10 97 ZR2 Blazer build-img_20130311_163048_112.jpg   Xtrmes10 97 ZR2 Blazer build-img_20130311_163058_436.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member
rockbuggy4x4 is on a distinguished road

awesome. yea, the rear should go real quick and smooth. are you going to be able to use the old axles in the front or did you have to get new ones?

Quick Reply: Xtrmes10 97 ZR2 Blazer build