Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   The Chop Shop (https://blazerforum.com/forum/chop-shop-46/)
-   -   Attention owners of 85 4x4 Chevy S10 Blazers (https://blazerforum.com/forum/chop-shop-46/attention-owners-85-4x4-chevy-s10-blazers-89278/)

Brian K. Balzer 03-18-2015 09:13 PM

Attention owners of 85 4x4 Chevy S10 Blazers

I've got a bit of a puzzle on my hands. A while back I bought an 85 Chevy S10 4x4 for my son. So far everything under the sun has kept us from getting it done. I guess I got lucky in a way as the 2.8 engines I'd located sold before I got to the salvage yards. I've found out that's a blessing in disguise as the 2.8 has a weak lower end. Instead we're putting a 3.1 out of a 91 Camaro into it.

Should have been a matter of changing the intake manifold, oil pan and a few small things but as luck would have it health issues, bad timing, bad luck, and bad weather kept me from getting to it until after the warranty on it was over and done. Only Then did find out there were exhaust manifold bolts broken off in the heads. I managed to get out 3 out of 4 but there was one that refused to come out. The salvage yard split the cost and sold me a set of heads for basically half price at $75.

We've now gotten the engine mostly put back together. Next will be to put on the valve covers, flywheel, front pulley, motor mounts and a couple of other small things. Of course bad luck has reared its head again and my son has injured his left elbow again. (same thing happened last fall while we were working on his engine)

Now, the puzzle part of this is that I'm not familiar with these and the old man, er older old man, already had Everything pulled from the engine before we bought it. I have No idea what brackets go where or vacuum lines or wiring.

I would love it if some of you guys and gals would share some pictures of your engine compartments. I've been checking my Chilton's manual but those pictures are always specific to certain things and zoomed in enough that I can't tell what goes where.

Another thing I've got to take a closer look at is what appears to be a wide brace. My guess by looking at the brace itself is that it would bridge the frame underneath the engine. That didn't make any since at first since the engine was still in the Blazer when we got it, however, I think maybe he had pulled the engine and then set it back in. Not sure though. I might post a picture of it for identification after I've taken it to the car wash and cleaned the nasty off of it.

Any help, Especially pictures (I'm a visual learner) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
A.K.A - The Ugly Old Man

swartlkk 03-19-2015 06:51 AM

I had an '85 S10 when I was in college. The biggest advice I can give is to ditch the factory carb and install an aftermarket two barrel onto your new motor.

As far as that Chilton's manual goes, it needs to be used as kindling so it can actually be useful. I would browse through eBay and pick up a factory service manual. You can typically pick the older ones up for under $50. The ones in the plastic binders tend to be in better condition than the paperback versions.

On a side note, the Chop Shop section may not get you the best exposure for your request. If you would like, I can move this into the 1st Gen Tech section or possibly Engine & Transmission to hopefully get more attention.

Brian K. Balzer 03-19-2015 12:35 PM

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 646304)
I had an '85 S10 when I was in college. The biggest advice I can give is to ditch the factory carb and install an aftermarket two barrel onto your new motor.

As far as that Chilton's manual goes, it needs to be used as kindling so it can actually be useful. I would browse through eBay and pick up a factory service manual. You can typically pick the older ones up for under $50. The ones in the plastic binders tend to be in better condition than the paperback versions.

On a side note, the Chop Shop section may not get you the best exposure for your request. If you would like, I can move this into the 1st Gen Tech section or possibly Engine & Transmission to hopefully get more attention.

If you can and want to move it to where I'd get better help please feel free to do so. I posted here because it was the only spot I was seeing the New Thread option appear. Thanks for the advice on the carb. I'll keep it in mind down the road when we get more done on it.

Thanks again,
Brian