Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/)
-   -   best rubbing and polishing compound (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/best-rubbing-polishing-compound-80071/)

er0ck273 06-26-2013 09:06 PM

best rubbing and polishing compound

was wondering what experiences you guys have had with different rubbing and polishing compounds. what brands would you recommend?

Captain Hook 06-26-2013 09:10 PM

You'll probably get a ton of opinions on this one ;) I like Maguires polishing compound when used with a DA buffer. Don't spend too much time in one spot, you'll burn through the clear coat.

er0ck273 06-26-2013 09:31 PM

this might be a dumb question. but is it the same as meguires ultimate compound? lol

Captain Hook 06-26-2013 09:36 PM

Can't remember for sure, but that sounds familiar. I know it does a nice job though, whatever it is. A good quality paste or carnuba wax really makes it look good. Did it to both of my Blazers a couple of weeks ago and have had quite a few compliments.

er0ck273 06-26-2013 09:44 PM

yea i clay barred and waxed mine a few months ago. i gotta say i used meguiars ultimate paste wax, the shine and "smooth like glass" feel didn't last as long as when i use turtle wax ice synthetic paste. might have to change back. but meguiars applies 10x easier and comes off 1000x easier than the ice. i just sprayed clear on chipping sections thats why i figured its time for polishing compound lol

richphotos 06-27-2013 01:07 PM

Meguiars is a great product, check out products by 3m as well, they also make great rubbing and polishing compounds. If you want a shine and smoothness to last a long time, first use meguiars show car glaze, then follow it up with a good mequiars wax. it will feel softer than a babys butt, and will stay that way for quite some time. The show car glaze acts like a clay bar and removes contaminates from the paint (looks like you waxed it before you even have) then followed with the wax.
I did mine about 2 weeks ago and its still feeling soft, even after multiple rain storms.

er0ck273 06-27-2013 08:54 PM

i just got the ultimate compound from meguires. 9 bucks you cant go wrong. since i dont have a da i might just have to do it by hand. which i dont mind i got time, depends on the weather every night here around 4-6 it pours, which is when im done work. so hopefully this weekend i can get it done. so what would be order of steps, clay, compound, then wax?

Captain Hook 06-27-2013 09:08 PM

Never used clay before, but the compound would remove it if you did the clay first.

er0ck273 06-27-2013 09:13 PM

so you thinking compound could replace claying? i know your supposed to clay before waxing but now adding compounding i have no clue lol

Captain Hook 06-27-2013 09:18 PM

I use the compound, then wax, and it turns out smooth as glass. I have no clue what the clay would do, maybe someone else will chime in.