Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/)
-   -   Engine compartment (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/engine-compartment-44997/)

EzTec 05-26-2010 03:58 PM

Engine compartment

Hey guys. I was wondering if it's at all possible for someone to do a DIY write-up on how to do an engine detailing yourself, especially on the 2nd gen Blazers. After a recent trip to The Mounds in Mt. Morris, Michigan, the engine compartment could use a good cleaning.

Yeah, I know, :icon_google:. But, I was thinking someone might have found a good way to do an engine detailing. That, and I can't seem to find any good ones on the Blazers.

Bigringtravis 05-26-2010 09:42 PM

Foamy engine brite and a long bristle wheel cleaning brush. Rinse, repeat if needed.

After it dries a little bit, spray it with tire dressing. I like Armour-All Tire Foam - it dries like a glaze, and looks good for a pretty long time.

Hint though, and my best advice... Before you hit the trails, spray the wheel wells, suspension, and frame/under the cab with black magic tire dressing - It'll make clean up a WHOLE lot easier!!!

Please note, if you're muddin, nothing will keep the mud from sticking. Just wash before it dries!

Sirloin 10-08-2010 03:43 PM

I use Simple Green mixed 1:1 with water in a spray bottle, give it a good once over, then drive to the car wash and use the tire ( or engine ) cleaning setting on low pressure, then a low pressure rinse ( or spot free rinse ).

Nemo1991 10-10-2010 02:04 PM

are there anythings you should avoid getting wet under the hood? and i have a cai what should i do to prevent water from getting in there

Sirloin 10-11-2010 11:02 AM

Is your wiring and their connections in good condition?

Personally I do a visual check, and make sure all of the fluid caps ( and dipsticks ) are tight.

The CAI I'd just spray around it ( low pressure of course ), If you want to clean the filter, that's a different animal ( remove, clean and re-oil ).

I like to have the engine warmed up, so after the low pressure rinse, the engine compartment dries out on the way home ( you could lift the hood and let it air out when you park it at home too ).

If you wanted to do it at home you could use the simple green spray, a rinse spray and then compressed air to blow things off, using your home air compressor & an air nozzle.

I am sure you could find a really detailed explaination, but it really is easy & painless ... If you're in doubt ... give the engine a small bath this week ... then next week give it a little better bath etc. ... until you get the results you want.

Nemo1991 10-11-2010 06:05 PM

thanks sounds like a good idea. seeing that i detail cars for a living at a dealership i should know more about this lol, but they dont make me get so in depth with the cleaning.

EzTec 10-11-2010 08:57 PM

The only things I've been told to keep covered is the alternator. I haven't tried the 1:1 Simple Green. I'll give it a shot next time I do a cleaning under the hood.