Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/)
-   -   How to remove windshield scratch? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/how-remove-windshield-scratch-10314/)

Ilya 04-21-2007 02:00 PM

How to remove windshield scratch?

Gentlemen. Does anybody know how to get removed a small scratch from a windshield ?

EuroGoldLS 04-21-2007 02:18 PM

RE: How to remove windshield scratch?

Replace it. Thats really the only way unless you have some kind of filler...

JST4SHO 04-21-2007 05:51 PM

Well if its a small/not to deep sratch then polish will work allthough you might need to use a polisher and a special glass disc for the polisher. I have and do use Autoglym Auto Glass Polish, and once you use it with a polisher, frequent light coats will keep derbris/oil and whatnot off your glass. I did however sratch my rear window hatch and used this product by hand with a applicator and it got the sratch out. Also, works way better and last longer than rainx.

TheBrettster 04-21-2007 09:38 PM

Cerium oxide only way to go. Little bit goes along way.

JST4SHO 04-24-2007 04:05 AM

What is Cerium oxide never heard of it?

rabbit0102030 04-24-2007 10:04 AM

The Brettster seems to forget that not everyone here is or has been a professional detailer.

Cerium oxide is a yellow powder that is used to polish glass. It is used in catalytic converters and ovens as as a self-clean catalyst. The biggest problem with using cerium oxide is that the flourite structure in its makeup is flawed. It is dependent onoxygen pressure. Missing oxygen molecules can render it pretty much useless. Before you can use Cerium Oxide to polish scratches out of glass, you need to find out how deep the scratch is. Run your fingernail across it, if you can feel it, then it is too deep for polishing with cerium oxide. You're going to have to grind it out first. The grit used to grind out the scratch will depend on how deep the scratch is. On glass, the finest grit you can get your hands on would be best. Start with 2000 grit. If that takes too long, go to 1500 or 1200 grit and if it is still taking a while, try 600 grit. The catch is afterusing the600, your gonna have towork it once morewith 1200/1500, andone more time with2000. You can't use the cerium oxide until the scratch has been ground out.
Cerium oxide must be mixed with water at the right consistency, something to the effect of what milk looks and feels like. Pour a little at a time onto a hard felt buffing pad. Cerium oxide will polish at its best when it is slightly damp, nut not wet. Fill a spray bottle with water and use it to keep the area you are polishing damp.

It's hard to use. So, I would just stick to the regular glass polish you can buy at any auto parts store. If you want to give it a shot though, that is the best direction I can give you.

swartlkk 04-24-2007 10:17 AM

If you really think you want to do this yourself and the autoparts store stuff doesn't work, there is always products like:
Deep Scratch Restoration Kit - Eastwood.com
Glass Polishing Kit Pro - Eastwood.com

And for those windsheilds that are just a bit sand blasted, I have used Diamondite Glass Cleaning System
but that was quite a while ago... Typically now I'll run a standard clay bar over a cleaned windshield to remove any debris, then clean it again.

BrianMichaels1 06-15-2007 01:57 AM

I've removed a good deal of glass surface scratches with Zaino Glass Polish. Expensive but effective.