Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/)
-   -   Junk on my glass (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/junk-my-glass-34504/)

thebigcheese109 09-07-2009 07:02 PM

Junk on my glass

1 Attachment(s)
For some reason I have these spots on all of my windows and my windshield. They will not come off and am afraid I may have to replace windshield. In the picture they are the little blob light spots. Please help.

MachNU 09-07-2009 07:20 PM

Cant really tell from the picture. It could be a few things. First thing I would do to try and figure out if its in the glass or on the glass. Try spraying the windshield with some type of window cleaner, and cleaning it with a razor blade. If the particles dont come up its in the glass. Then it could be either bad acid rain, which would need to be buffed off, or its tons of pits from tiny rock/debri chips over time, and then replacing the windshield is the only other step!

Biohazed 09-07-2009 08:43 PM

If i'm seeing the picture right then I have the same on my Blazer, I think its like hard water stains so to speak, but I have'nt figured out how to get rid of them yet except for major scrubbing

MachNU 09-07-2009 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Biohazed (Post 244261)
If i'm seeing the picture right then I have the same on my Blazer, I think its like hard water stains so to speak, but I have'nt figured out how to get rid of them yet except for major scrubbing

Water stains are different on glass. Hard water stains etch into the clear on paint, on windows they dont, since its a solid material vs. clear. What your seeing is Acid Rain. More common on cars in northern or heavily industry areas. Only way to remove that is buffing the window with a rotary, strong compound, and a nice thick wool pad. His looks more like pits in the window from tiny chips over time!

abig84 09-07-2009 11:17 PM

yeah looks like pits too... try a razor blade, or some steal wool. if that wont get it off your screwed

Sisk 09-08-2009 07:39 AM

It looks like water stains to me too. I have them on my sunroof glass. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I heard one of the only ways to remove it is with steel wool.
Have you tried any type of cleaners yet like simple green or super clean? What all have you tried to get it removed?

Unlimitedsp 09-08-2009 09:25 AM

Hit the windshield with a clay bar. You will be surprise how much crud it takes off.

MachNU 09-08-2009 11:27 AM

FOR THOSE SAYING TO USE STEEL WOOL! DO NOT USE IT! Steel wool is meant for cleaning metals. If you take it to a windshield you will make tons of light scratches. For water spots...called acid rain...only way to remove those is with a rotary buffer. Like already stated use either a razor blade or a very aggressive clay bar.

jsmz 09-08-2009 03:43 PM

i had a nasty film of crap on the outside of a junk yard window that wouldnt come off with anything.

i ended up using some buffing compound and an old sock. scrub real hard in circular motions, let it dry and scrub real hard again. repeat if necessary.

thebigcheese109 09-08-2009 07:34 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I asked a few people I know and they said the same things. So far I have tried steel wool, really hot water, white vinegar, and scrubbing extremely hard. Before I started looking into it I tried cleaning it with windex, but since I have stopped.