Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/)
-   -   Rustproofing (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/rustproofing-1571/)

hdlogistics 11-18-2005 01:34 PM

Rustproofing

Not sure if this is the right forum but I wanted to get comments on rustproofing. I just bought a 2000 Blazer & was thinking of getting it rustproofed at the local Krown Rust Control centre. Does anyone else get the yearly rustproofing? Thanks for the input. H.

zero psi 11-19-2005 03:16 PM

RE: Rustproofing

ive never heard of "yearly rustproofing". what do they do?

hdlogistics 11-19-2005 04:35 PM

There are a few different companies here in Canada that offer yearly rustproofing. They spray the underside of your car/truck and inside the doors, fenders etc. I went to Krown rustproofing today after talking to a few people that have used them in the past.
Here's the link if you're interested. www.krown.com I don't think they are in the U.S.A. but there must be other companies offering the same services...

swartlkk 12-02-2005 10:59 AM

My view on rust-proofing/undercoating is that if you didn't do it when the vehicle was BRAND new, then don't bother with it. The problems that arrise are areas where water can collect that would normally drain through small drain holes that the undercoating covers over. The water will end up rusting it from the inside out much faster than it would have if it was just left alone. I have seen too many people here in NY that have had their car undercoated when bought used and then had rusting problems 3-4 years later where they basically had to junk the whole car because the unibody had rusted from the inside out.

Its your call. I had a '94 Intrepid that was a NY car from day 1. It had NO rust on the underside of it after 9 NY winters and 167k miles and I never thought about rustproofing it when I bought it in 1999 with 94k miles on it (sold it in 2003).

m00nwater 12-06-2005 01:27 AM

Hmmm...I never really thought about it like that. I was about to go and get mine done for the winter, but I may reconsider. Wait, my truck is already a rusty bitch, so mayeb a bit more wouldn't make a difference:D

m00nwater 12-06-2005 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: hdlogistics

Does anyone else get the yearly rustproofing?
I used to, but after what swart said, I might not. Though, living in the Toronto area, they put a ****LOAD of salt on the roads (pussy southerners!), so it still might be a good idea for that reason alone. When I was in the north end of the province where SAND is the road-dumping material of choice, it wasn't as big of an issue with rusting as it is down here with these big babies that have no idea how to drive in the winter. Seriously. We go through it every year, and they STILL can't figure it out?![:@]

Well, I can hardly say Toronto winters are WINTER after what I grew up with, but at least I still see SOME snow, although I wish there were more. :(

alpinejimmy 12-06-2005 04:03 AM

move to saskatoon, you'll be drivin' through 3 feet on main roads

hdlogistics 12-06-2005 08:47 AM

Here in Ontario there is a ton of salt used on the roads every winter. I've had all my vehicles rustproofed. Even my '91 Grand Marquis still has very little rust because of this. For the sake of 100 bucks, I think it's worth it if you plan on keeping your vehicle a long time. You tend to get a bit more money at sale time as well.

swartlkk 12-06-2005 11:06 AM

I just caution EVERYONE that is considering this to do your homework! Check out a few places that you may consider going to and, if possible, watch them work on someone elses car. Pay close attention to the process they go through to clean the underside of your vehicle prior to laying down the undercoating.

With the primer that is being used on newer vehicles, it takes scraps on the underbody (through the paint and primer) before rust can even start. Not to mention that many of the rust prone areas on newer vehicles are not in areas where undercoating will even touch. Heck, my Bonneville has plastic inner fenders. The most rust prone area of a vehicle being right behind the wheels, is plastic on all 4 corners. The best defense for that (given steel in these areas) is a good set of mud flaps ($15-30 per set).

m00nwater 12-06-2005 11:36 AM

Hmmm...I never thought of mud flaps. Good idea. Wouldn't getting undercoating help with sustaining the life of your exhaust as well though?