Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/)
-   -   1.6 rocker arms (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/1-6-rocker-arms-65593/)

neal 12-01-2011 06:40 PM

1.6 rocker arms

has any one tryed putting 1.6 roller rocker arms on the 4.3. if so did you notice any differance in power. i did it on a v8 and felt a differance but dont know how it will work on late model v6

Bigringtravis 12-01-2011 11:22 PM

Depending on the year, you would have to have the heads machined to accept adjustable drivetrain since you would be going away from stock 1.5 ratio. You wouldn't want a valve to shake hads with a piston - or two.

zr2dan 12-03-2011 07:46 PM

im gettin ready to do 1:6 roller rockers dude at comp cams said the heads would have to be machined

neal 12-07-2011 10:19 PM

1.6 rockers

what kind of machining are they talking about, you sure wouldnt want to ssurface the heads. when i changed them on my v 8 i didnt have to machine any thing to the heads

zr2dan 12-08-2011 11:57 AM

they have to be ground out for the springs is what the guy said at comp cams

neal 12-09-2011 11:51 PM

1.6 rockers

not sure what the guy you talked to is refering to, if you are installing larger diamiter springs you would have to mach. the soring seats an the heads. but i dont know what that would have to do with changing the rockers. mostly i was wondering if any one had done this and checked valve to piston clearence, and wether or not there was any clearence problems with spring bottoming out. thank you

zr2dan 12-10-2011 08:29 PM

well call comp cams i dont know to much about that chit the guy at wynjammer told me to get a custom grind cam from comp 6:1 roller rockers tip and pivot valve guides and the tec man at comp told me i would have to have the heads machined for the double springs but like i said i dont know chit i figured the guys tellin me what needed done knew what they were talkin about sorry:icon_doh:

Bigringtravis 12-11-2011 12:49 AM

Ok. Here is the break-down...

Roller rockers are considered "adjustable valvetrain." Vortex 4.3s (and many other newer engines) have non adjustable valvetrain. So to run roller rockers of any ratio, you need to get the heads machined to accept them.

Custom cams- high lift, NOS, blown or towing/rv need to run under different pressures. That being said, the higher the lift, the more substantial the valve spring setup is going to be. To get the spring assemblies to sit on the cylinder head correctly, you have to machine the valve spring seat.

Bottom line, head work is pretty expensive but well worth it!

zr2dan 12-11-2011 11:39 AM

so the cam i was told to get and roller rockers is 640$ after shipping and the speed shop wants 1400$ to do the head work and cam install do you think that is a reasonable price i cant control the price of parts but do think i should be able to find better price on the machine work and labor

neal 12-14-2011 12:30 AM

i think it would really depend on what you are getting for the money. are they doing the removal and installation of the heads. what work are they going to do to the heads.