Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Intake, Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:36 AM
LittleDan911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intake, Throttle Body Spacer

I Was Wondering If Theres A Big Difference In Power Gain W/ The Throttle Body Spacer... And With Intake...... And If Effects My Mpg's At All.....

Old 01-26-2006, 06:43 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Intake, Throttle Body Spacer

Speaking of spacers, I received a catalog Performance Products today. something I've never seen before, a manifold spacer.click here
Rediculously overpriced. From the description it sounds like a cowl hood would be needed for sh*t to fit.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That thing would really increase the volume of air in the manifold and shouldn't have as much of an impact on high rpm air flow as the throttle body spacer should have. I am skeptical of thier horsepower/torque claim though. And DAMN is that thing espensive!

*EDIT*- The #1 problem I see with that thing is the fuel lines. I don't think there is anyway to get them to move up that much.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:06 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

They're a little generous on their claim alright. It's like receiving a credit card offer limit of up to $25,000.00. Realistically everyone gets $2,500.0-$10,000.00

I would like them to use an independent shop with a dyno. Using say, 5 Blazers with their product. And post their average results.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Blazer1305 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a powreaid throttle body spacer that i had in my 1998 4x4 blazer that i just took out. I only had it in for 3 months. It noticable boosted my acceleration and power. Its for sale so just post me back or e-mail me oneill0513@yahoo.com

Old 02-10-2006, 11:12 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Guess my question has to be, if its that simple to gain that much power, why didnt GM do it? I mean, If you believe a couple of things like the spacer and say an intake kit with k.n filter.......pretty soon we all own 300 hp 6 cylinders? Let us know how this works out. Besides increases in power, what else happens? To me, an increase in performance with no increase in fuel usage may be hard to do. More air means more fuel where the real world meets the road. Its next to impossible to keep the computers from adjusting to the increased air flow thus keeping the mix the same. Isnt that what they are designed to do? The mix has to be within a certain range for things to work, right??

Old 02-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A throttle body spacer will in no way change your hp. It will also not change your peak torque. The way a TB spacer works is by increasing the volume of air between the throttle blade and the valves. A TB spacer will effectively move the torque curve lower in the rpm band. It will do this at the expense of higher RPM torque, but if you think about how much time you spend at 3500+rpm, down lower is where you want to see the torque. The change in torque can be best represented by taking a dyno torque curve and shifting the entire curve down ~300-400rpm thus increasing the torque off the line, and decreasing the torque at higher rpm. No more air, just a shift in the performance characteristics of the motor. With more torque available at lower rpm, the throttle doesn't have to be opened up as much to produce the same acceleration.

To take this explaination a step further, look at the Yamaha 3.0L v6 found in the early 90's Ford Taurus SHO. This engine had dual intake paths. One path was a long runner and the other was a short runner. The long runners were great for low end torque, but due to piping losses, lacked the airflow higher in the rpm band. The short runners weren't so hot off the line, but their shorter length lended them to perform very well at higher rpm. At around 3500rpm, the engine would make the transition from long to short. There are many motors that work this way.

The 1st generation dodge 3.5L v6 sorta did this, however it had VERY long but very big runners. I used to own a '94 Intrepid ES 3.5L 24v. Throttle body spacers on a dodge 3.5L v6 consistantly showed 2-3mpg better over trials with out the spacers. I had designed and sold (at cost) spacers for the 3.5L and 3.3L dodge v6s found in the Intrepid (and all other 1st gen LH designed cars). I had 10 people that had very consistant commutes test their vehicle with the spacers, then again without them and give me their data. Over a 500 mile trial with and then again without, the results showed an average of 2.47mpg improvement and every single person that purchased one from me loved them. Some even tried mine out and then turned around and sold their 'swirled' PowerAid spacers. If anything, the 'swirl' effect (that the PowerAid spacers boast) will actually slow down the air entering the intake plenum.

I won't go into how a CAI works besides the fact that with a lower restriction, the engine doesn't have to work as much to pull the air through the filter and intake ducting. This doesn't mean that it is getting more air because the only way to get more air is to either increase the throttle body size or go forced induction. This just means that the efficiency of the engine will increase (however slightly) and the results are what is typically seen with a lower restriction intake (~2-5hp depending on design and source of cold air).

Old 03-07-2006, 05:00 AM
blackblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 94 s10 blazer and was wondering about if theres a throttle body spacer for the cpi 4.3L motors of just tbi

Old 03-18-2006, 08:58 PM
ilikebread is an unknown quantity at this point

yo anyobody buy this yet???? if not man hit me up....

Old 03-19-2006, 05:45 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody makes a TB spacer for the CPI motors. Simply put, they can't. The throttle body housing is integrated with the intake manifold, its all one cast piece. But the intake manifold on the CPIs just looks cool, LS1 like.

Quick Reply: Intake, Throttle Body Spacer