Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.6 L modular motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 02:05 PM
jcw96 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.6 L modular motor swap

Just looking at options for a swap, someone is selling a 4.6L around me and I’m seeing if it will fit or not.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Sure anything will fit but making everything work will be a nightmare! I say go for it just to say you did it.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:04 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

If you're determined enough you can put in it whatever motor you want; Ford 4.6, Cummins Diesel, Tesla electric. But without even doing the research, I'm willing to bet that there's not many people out there swapping a Ford 4.6l into an S10 chassis, so you'll be diving into an unknown realm and the info on the swap may not be out there and you'll have to figure out a lot of it on your own.

Honestly if you're that determined to swap a V8 into it, if I were you I'd be looking for a GM 5.3l. They're a dime-a-dozen, fairly cheap, VERY reliable engines, most of the sensors and wiring including the computer will play nicely with the S10 chassis and electronics, and it's been done countless times so there's a literal butt-load of information on the interwebs about doing the swap.

I was going to go the Vortec 5.7 350 route until I stumbled upon an LS3 6.2l That's my next HUG undertaking with my 04, but it'll be years in the making...

Old 05-29-2018, 05:39 AM

The reason why I’m contemplating the 4.6 is I’ve had experience with them I had a f150 with that motor and I know they’re fairly easy to find performance parts for them

Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

The 5.3 is a WAYYYYY superior option here honestly. By the time you finish buying things to make the 4.6 work the "good deal" on it will be far out weighed and thats before you even figure in time and frustration. I am familiar with both platforms and I would take a 5.3 every single time over the 4.6 especially if your talking a 3 valve 4.6.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
The 5.3 is a WAYYYYY superior option here honestly. By the time you finish buying things to make the 4.6 work the "good deal" on it will be far out weighed and thats before you even figure in time and frustration. I am familiar with both platforms and I would take a 5.3 every single time over the 4.6 especially if your talking a 3 valve 4.6.

4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, any of them really, even the early 5.7 LS engines (the 4.8 and 5.3 are going to be the cheapest and easiest to find most likely). They'll probably out power and outlive the Ford 4.6

Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ford mod motors are WIDE!!! Even the SOHC (2V & 3V) variants are still ~28" wide to the valve covers which is 4" wider than the LS engines at a height that would run into A LOT of stuff under the hood (HVAC housing & brake booster most noticeably).

As stated, the LS engine would be far easier & likely cheaper for the same (or more) power. The aftermarket for the mod motors isn't too bad, but it cannot compare with that of the LS engines.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:08 AM

Well I appreciate y’all helping out, I found a 5.3 block for 150 I don’t know if that’s a good deal or not, also I have little experience with GM Small Blocks so any advice would be appreciated. I’m glad to finally see a forum that actually has members who are willing to help instead of bashing someone’s ideas.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jcw96
Well I appreciate y’all helping out, I found a 5.3 block for 150 I don’t know if that’s a good deal or not, also I have little experience with GM Small Blocks so any advice would be appreciated. I’m glad to finally see a forum that actually has members who are willing to help instead of bashing someone’s ideas.

Depending on the mileage and overall condition, that sounds like a pretty darn good deal! Is that complete with wiring harness, accessories, and all for $150, or is that a bare block and heads setup?

I'm not going to bash on your for wanting to put a Ford motor into a Chevy lol although I don't think it's the best idea in the world... But plenty of people put LS's into non GM vehicles and I'm sure others with the same vehicles don't care for it too much lol

Old 05-30-2018, 11:04 AM

Just the block