Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/)
-   -   5 spd to auto swap (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/5-spd-auto-swap-4417/)

Blazenfast 07-15-2006 03:02 PM

5 spd to auto swap

ok, i am looking at a blazer that is 5 speed and i am planning on swapping the motor out for a 5.3 later anyways and was wondering what would have to be done to swap it to automatic with a factory center shifter too.

XBlazer01 07-15-2006 03:40 PM

RE: 5 spd to auto swap

keep the stick!

I hate automatic man! Its soooo bad. I want that control! lol

jagblazer01 07-15-2006 03:59 PM

i agree with xblazer....why would you wanna swap in an automatic??? id give anything to have my blazer a 5-speed. but if u do it you may need a new computer programmed for an automatic transmission. but im not 100% on that. honestly id stick with the manual

BlaZeR FXB1581 07-15-2006 07:48 PM

i would do anything for a 5speed instead of the auto

you wanna possibly trade? lol but seriously

88s10Blazer 07-16-2006 05:43 PM

Don't rag on him for wanting an automatic. Some people like automatics...I do. I don't like driving stick through the city...pain in the ass if you ask me. I prefer automatic myself.

swartlkk 07-16-2006 06:01 PM

Well now... More to the point of answering the question.

It really depends on what year of vehicle you have. The newer (96+) s-series vehicles have the programming in the PCM to control the electronics of the transmission. Since you are starting out with a 5spd, you would have to have your PCM flashed to be able to control the transmission as well as the wiring for all of the sensors and such.

Now with the engine swap you are considering, you'll already have to deal with the PCM aspect, so that would be the time to do the swap. If you get both the engine and automatic trans out of the same vehicle, grab the enginebay wiring harness and that should include the wiring for both the engine and transmission.

Now along with others here, I'd rather have a manual. But that is just my preference and has no bearing on this thread at all.

XBlazer01 07-16-2006 06:41 PM

trade me everything needed for the manual and u can have my auto!

1996BZR 07-17-2006 01:39 AM

I have to agree with 88s10blazer. I hate to go through a drive-thru, have a burger in one hand, and try to shift and steer at the same time with the other hand. Then the cell phone rings[:o]. it's just too mumbly jumbly. That, of course, is why I have an auto in my blazer.

01extreme 07-18-2006 04:41 PM

wish i could have a manual in mine, seems there is a poll here.

timetoblaze 07-22-2006 03:30 PM

i absolutely cant stand my auto.... been thinking about swapping in a manual