Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/)
-   -   5 speed tranny swap 97' 4x4 blazer (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/5-speed-tranny-swap-97-4x4-blazer-64593/)

97OregonBlazer 11-01-2011 03:45 PM

5 speed tranny swap 97' 4x4 blazer

I reallllly want to keep my blazer, done tons to it, love it, etc etc. It's a 97 blazer 4x4 LT, and i want to do 5 speed swap. i have the auto shifter where the cup holders should be on some blazers, its almost like a car, so im assuming i dont need to replace the steering column. but for all the otherthings i am wondering if this is possible. im going to start looking for parts and make sure everything lines up, unless some one else has done this and can help me im going to start on this project soon and provide pics

97cherryblazer 11-01-2011 04:41 PM

some base model blazers came stock with the 5 speed so it shouldn't require very much customization to do it. Already having the center console shifter will help. i vaguely remember reading a post on here about someone doing/asking the same thing. i just tried to find it but couldn't. maybe someone else knows the thread. but good luck keep us posted!

Thogert 11-01-2011 11:51 PM

I believe that I read that same thing, and I think Swartlkk said that just about everything should work, including your cruise control.

DySfUnCtIoNaL 11-02-2011 05:52 AM

Yep, search.
I wrote a how to to help a guy doing the same swap as you, his worked, my buddy did this swap, worked great also.

Although your trucks computer is programmed for an automatic transmission when you install the 5 speed transmission you will still be able to drive the truck although it will set off a whole bunch of check engine codes such as p0785, p1860, p1810, p0758, p0753, p0740. In order to correct the check engine codes you will need to go to your local dealer and get them to re-flash your computer to tell it that the truck is manual. The only wiring required for the whole swap is to wire in the reverse lights from the manual transmission into the automatic transmission harness which is really simple and only requires splicing in two wires. I was surprised to find that even before getting the computer re-flashed the cruise control still worked and you even need to press the clutch pedal in when you start the truck just as if it were stick from the factory. One tip for making the swap easy and headache free would be to place all the nuts and bolts in plastic zip loc bags and label where they came from and how many there were, this will save you time and aggravation upon reassembly. One issue that some people may run into is the issue of the y-pipe from the automatic not fitting properly once the standard transmission is installed, the problem occurs because the new transmission will sit a little bit lower which makes the y-pipe hit the bottom of the transmission. To solve this problem you can either search around for a standard transmission y-pipe or cut out the section of the automatic y-pipe where it hits the transmission and get a new piece of pipe bent to fit and welded in.
Here is a list of the parts that you will need to do the swap:
· Transmission (NV3500 for a 4.3) & (NV1500 for a 2.2)
· Clutch pedal assembly
· Clutch master cylinder (make sure it has the clutch safety switch)
· Clutch line
· Flywheel
· Clutch pressure plate
· Slave cylinder (this is the throw-out bearing)
· Shifter handle
· Shifter boot
· Pilot bearing (GM part #12557583)
· Transmission oil (GM part #12345349, the Canadian part # I believe is 89021808) The NV1500 uses different fluid
· Bottle of DOT 3 brake fluid (this is the fluid used in the clutch master cylinder)
· Reverse harness plug pigtail

4182008 01-23-2012 10:43 AM

What year transmissions will work I would like to do the same swap could I tasks a 5 speed out of a 94 for my 97

96chevblazer 01-23-2012 11:31 PM

this works on 4x4 4 doors? wouldnt drive shaft lengths change? and also if any one has pics of their cluch peddle set up would be great.

onder 02-05-2012 10:01 PM

I was thinking about doing the same thing but I read couple of article online that said it was so much work. i decided not to do it. But DySfUnCtIoNaL makes it sound like a little easy. You should make this a how to or a build thread so everyone that wants to do it will get help from it. Good luck

latunguley 02-22-2013 11:43 AM

Project ZR4 "5" Speed upgrade

I finally found a whole 5 speed unit to rob the proper gear from to install 5 speed into my 2000 Blazer LS. Thanks to this thread i just printed off what i'm going to need from donor rig. Luckilly the donor and my rig both have the same gear ratio 3:42 , the donor salvage yard owner was hesitant to sell me the 5 speed stuff for fear id have to change out the rears. Now it appears i do not? NOTE: Donor s10 Blazer is a 1998 and my project is a 2000

latunguley 02-25-2013 02:04 PM

Day One of Donor 5 speed blazer removal: Oh My God I had no idea i was getting myself into that much tear down work to remove 5 speed parts from a donor blazer in a salvage yard?? Allot of screws, nuts, and bolts, Wiring galore, safety clips. Just can not beleive how much I had to take apart? And i only did the top side today from the interior and under the Hood. Showing the slave cylinder down between the frame rail and engine to extract it from underneath when tomorrow I flip the donor rig over on its side with my 2000 S10 4x4 to gain access to remove the drivetrain, Front and rear gear ratio match my vehicle but I'm extracting the rearage also due to the GM factory Positraction rear end the donor has in it. I beleive it was Part ID #U80? Or G80? Not sure just know that my service manual informed me there is a Posi rear. I will repost my experience tomorrow evening.

J_E 03-21-2013 08:58 PM

Hey gratz on tackling this swap. It has been done and is do-able as has been mentioned. There is a pretty decent writeup/thread over on s10 forum where a couple guys were able to do the swap in a weekend. You will have to remove the dash of the donor to get the clutch pedal, but it should just snap into place behind your dash without any serious disassembly.

On the ECU side: Yes the dealership has the software and the equipment to tell your ecu that the blazer is now a 5sp, but most wont. Basically the techs at the dealership enter your vin into the software and download updated software for the stock configuration into the ECU. This option is not the easiest, the least expensive, nor is it the best.

Your best option for making the ECU 'right' would be an aftermarket tune. It should cost around $100-$150 and your blazer will perform a little better. Turn around for some tuners is a day or two, but requires the ECU be sent to them or another purchased from them. It's cheaper if they tune your existing ECU, but that requires the Blazer be down for a couple of days or so. Some will offer free updates or retunes as you modify the Blazer further. This is the best option for most.

Another option is to buy the actual software to allow you to tune the ECU yourself. HPTuners and EFILive are two that come to mind. This is the most dangerous option for your vehicle. The initial learning curve is steep, and changing something too much or incorrectly could result in damaging your engine or transmission.