Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/)
-   -   Change oil after seafoam breakbooster run? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/change-oil-after-seafoam-breakbooster-run-52947/)

Bullfrog2099 12-19-2010 03:35 AM

Change oil after seafoam breakbooster run?

Title says it all, I know the breakbooster shouldn't run the seafoam to the
oil, but some out there insist on changing the oil anyway. Whats the truth?
I'm running auto rx in my oil, so naturally I'm trying to avoid an oil change.

swartlkk 12-19-2010 09:03 AM

The last part of a seafoam treatment is to let the engine stall. After the engine shuts off, any seafoam that may be in the cylinder can work past the rings and into the oil. Any buildup that may be on the rings and knocked loose by the seafoam would make it into the oil as well. Just do your seafoam treatment right before a regularly scheduled oil change and you're all set.

Bullfrog2099 12-19-2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 388616)
The last part of a seafoam treatment is to let the engine stall. After the engine shuts off, any seafoam that may be in the cylinder can work past the rings and into the oil. Any buildup that may be on the rings and knocked loose by the seafoam would make it into the oil as well. Just do your seafoam treatment right before a regularly scheduled oil change and you're all set.

Ok thanks Swart, i'll let your word be the final one.
Thread closed.

Rottidog 12-19-2010 10:54 PM

Yup, don't they say to change the oil just after seafoaming the intake? Also you can add it to the oil (read the directions, it's a small amount) to get rid of deposits & sludge - again right before an oil change! Also add it to the fuel tank, again read the directions. IMO it's a great product that I use every 6 months in the tank, oil & intake. Just have to use it properly.

<edit> P.S. call him Kyle lol ;)

Bullfrog2099 12-20-2010 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rottidog (Post 388891)
Yup, don't they say to change the oil just after seafoaming the intake? Also you can add it to the oil (read the directions, it's a small amount) to get rid of deposits & sludge - again right before an oil change! Also add it to the fuel tank, again read the directions. IMO it's a great product that I use every 6 months in the tank, oil & intake. Just have to use it properly.

<edit> P.S. call him Kyle lol ;)

Ok thread open, but ill still stand on kyle's word; I know hes been around.

On the seafoam webpage, this is question was posted in the FAQ. "Quote"
The most frequently asked question about using Sea Foam is as follows: “After using Sea Foam in my oil, fuel, or through the vacuum line (to clean carbon from the combustion chamber) do I need to change my oil?” The short answer is: No you don’t have to change your oil after using Sea Foam in any application. When using Sea Foam in your fuel or through the vacuum line for carbon cleaning your oil does not need to be changed. Using Sea Foam in your oil, at 1 ½ ounces per quart, is a safe way to clean a crankcase, free up rings or free up sticky lifters as you drive. Sea Foam is not a chemical engine flush and therefore, it will not damage internal engine components or plug the oil pick up screen. Sea Foam is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is safe for long term cleaning or short term pre-service cleaning. Sea Foam is a blend of highly refined additive oils and is compatible with all motor oils including synthetics. It is safe for all internal engine components and will not affect any seals, gaskets or o-rings. Sea Foam cleans oil deposits and varnish in your crankcase by safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. The longer Sea Foam is in your oil the cleaner your crankcase will become. When adding Sea Foam to clean oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it. Because you added cleaning oil (Sea Foam) to your oil you may have to change oil before the expected service interval.
"Endquote"

But, kyle says if the seamfoam thats in the cylinder works past the rings with the buildup it could endup in the oil. The above quote says- you would have to change your oil if left in for long term maintenance use. So for me, if any seafoam from the cylinders works past the rings and into the oil- it would be long term maintenance use, since i got 1500 miles to go before auto rx/oil change. So, kyle's word still stands, but the seafoam FAQ doesnt make mention the possibility of seafoam working past the rings. The Seafoam bottle had no instructions for oil change using the induction method- makes no mention of it.

P.s- There is also a Kyle who runs Hardocp.com, hes also the adm or rather the founder. Its a tech based forum for hotrodding Personal Computers- the layout is almost the same as Blazerforum, but its for PC's.
So i feel somewhat at home, even though I'm new here.

swartlkk 12-20-2010 07:43 AM

Still, seafoam is not an oil and its main function is to clean things. All of the stuff it cleans off of the internal passages inside the engine has to go somewhere. While seafoam maintains that it isn't absolutely necessary to change your oil after a seafoam treatment, it is definitely a good idea to do so. I never stated that it was mandatory, just that if you do it close to a regularly scheduled oil change, no harm can be done in either respect.

99blaz 12-20-2010 09:30 PM

I never put thought into this subject really. But its really not gonna do alot of damage if any, however like kyle said it will seep past the rings. Its probably best to do it before your oil change like kyle stated. Ill be doing just that from now on.