Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Hood Louvers?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road
Default Hood Louvers?

As far as engine bay tempature, What does everybody think about hood louvers? I am teetering on adding a set to help with heat evacuation. I was not planning on a cowl hood mainly because my wife would kill me for spending that much, but I think a set of functional hood louvers would also add some style and help personalize my rig as well as help with engine bay temps. What is ya'lls opinion?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

sounds like a good idea to me, nice custom touch.
must work somewhat lots of sports cars with louvered hoods, big question is....you gonna go fast enough to draw the air out...

sounds like a photoshop mock up is in your future.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

http://www.raceace.com/products.html

I believe... these would look cool.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I like those louvers. I think they would look pretty good on your ride, J.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by oktain
http://www.raceace.com/products.html

I believe... these would look cool.

I had seen those on my google quests. Those are what I was thinking about also. Since heat rises, I believe they would be beneficial and look good. Thanks for the input, guys. If I can, I would like to take this to the next level. Does anyone use these louvers or have pics of them on their ride? I have only seen them on Jeeps and am really curious as to how they would look on a Blazer. Hopefully I will get to find out as soon as I can get the money for a set.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 PM

sounds like a photoshop mock up is in your future.[/quote]

I don't have a clue how to do that, but I think it would be cool to get an idea of how it would look.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road

I love the louvered look. Had a tricked out 98 chevy van back in the day. Body shops used to actually punch them into the stock hood.

In my case it was purely aesthetic since most of the engine lived under the doghouse.

For Blazers I believe it would work well for cooling. Heat naturally rises so it would create the upward flow on it`s own. The effect would increase as you drove.

Lost a lot of pics when my basement flooded a few years ago. If I run across any I`ll post one.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rogue
Body shops used to actually punch them into the stock hood.

thank you for pointing that out (even hough you beat me to it).

Pat, were you being serious about that link you posted?

come on guys, i know we all want to make our Blazer/Jimmy's our own, but do you really want to rice it out with those pop rivit hood louvers?

@ jdespain; just how hot does your truck get? i mean, do you really need the ventalation from under there. not trying to be a ball breaker or sarcastic, but just rying to see where you're coming from.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

While functional hood louvers are great for letting hot air out, they are great for letting water in. Something to think about if you live in a wet climate.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:22 PM

@ jdespain; just how hot does your truck get? i mean, do you really need the ventalation from under there. not trying to be a ball breaker or sarcastic, but just rying to see where you're coming from.[/quote]

My truck has been running @ the 210-215 mark here lately. That is after a coolant flush and relacement and replacing the thermostat. My truck normally ran @ 195-200 before I spent a week of hauling a trailer loaded with scrap metal. My main concern is that it's not even summer yet. I am just thinking about trying to get heat out from under the hood. We all know, less heat = happy engine. Fan is working fine, water pump is circulating water; just trying to make my engine happy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Louvers?