Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Engine Swap Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Beginning Member
Bash is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Swap Ideas?

What engine should I put into my 1996 Chevy Blazer instead of the stock 4.3 Vortec? I’m not sure if I wanna go with a SBC or something else. And if I were to make a performance build, how much power could I put through the transmission without breaking it? I think the transmission is a NV3500, but not sure.. Can anyone help?

Old 08-16-2018, 11:40 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bash
What engine should I put into my 1996 Chevy Blazer instead of the stock 4.3 Vortec? I’m not sure if I wanna go with a SBC or something else. And if I were to make a performance build, how much power could I put through the transmission without breaking it? I think the transmission is a NV3500, but not sure.. Can anyone help?
Only truly nice swap is a LS Chevy motor complete with factory fuel injection, but you will want to do an automatic trans and will need a donor vehicle for computer/wiring/accessories like a pre-2006 Silverado or Avalanche and will obviously need custom programming. These engine swaps are not cheap, nor are they for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. Getting the second generation vehicle systems to be compatible with the PCM used is a concern. Lots of S10/Blazer swaps get started and never finished. Don't be one of them. there is a member that did one and posted in the builds - ou should read that. His started as a manual trans 2WD.

Are you sure that 200 hp isn't good enough?

Last edited by LesMyer; 08-16-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member
Bash is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Only truly nice swap is a LS Chevy motor complete with factory fuel injection, but you will want to do an automatic trans and will need a donor vehicle for computer/wiring/accessories like a pre-2006 Silverado or Avalanche and will obviously need custom programming. These engine swaps are not cheap, nor are they for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. Getting the second generation vehicle systems to be compatible with the PCM used is a concern. Lots of S10/Blazer swaps get started and never finished. Don't be one of them. there is a member that did one and posted in the builds - ou should read that. His started as a manual trans 2WD.

Are you sure that 200 hp isn't good enough?
I’d like to get more power because eventually I’ll be using it as a mud toy and want to work on all of it to begin with.. and I was wrong, the transmission is a 4L60E with Overdrive... I’ve thought about getting a Small Block 350 but don’t know what all I’ll need or whether or not I wanna do some performance upgrades to my current 4.3 V6

Old 08-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Beginning Member
arick793 is on a distinguished road

I've been researching the vortec 350 swaps, those seem like they'd be the easiest

Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 08-25-2018, 05:56 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I thought about that for my build but decided against it. I would no longer be able to close the hood.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:34 PM
MuttWagon is on a distinguished road

LS Swaps are fairly easy. Most pull outs are left with everything plugged in still.
Give me a shout. I’ve got a good dozen of these swaps under my belt.
if you can swap out your 350, you can install an LS.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MuttWagon
LS Swaps are fairly easy. Most pull outs are left with everything plugged in still.
Give me a shout. I’ve got a good dozen of these swaps under my belt.
if you can swap out your 350, you can install an LS.
I have decided to go with the 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0. Was going to go the 350 vortec swap but decided against it, as I won't be saving that much money.
Sure the 350 vortec is cheaper, but considering rebuilding the 350 AND buying a new spider injector for $450, I'd rather go with the 4.8 (280hp). Sure the wiring harness is a big expense, but it's offset by the cost of the spider injector for the 350.

I may hit you up for some advice before I start the process this spring.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:25 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

How about something really different; a Mazda rotary engine from an RX-7! You'd sure be different.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:01 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

And the Rotary engine is one of the reasons why I have a 88 RX7 with a 350 small block Chevy under the hood and a 86 RX7 built into a 4X4 with a 4.3 and GMC Jimmy running gear .....

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Ideas?