Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/)
-   -   pulling motor ? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/pulling-motor-4933/)

desrt_rat 08-14-2006 07:24 PM

pulling motor ?

first of all, which is the best route to take, i have a 83 s10 blazer with the 2.8 and automatic, i need to replace the rear main seal in the motor, is it really that big of a pain to pull apart? and with everything it looks like i have to pull apart should i go ahead and pull the motor or is it easier to just pull the tranny?

1996BZR 08-14-2006 10:31 PM

RE: pulling motor ?

How many miles are on the motor. If it has high miles, you might as well replace it while it's out. Maybe step up to that 3.4 that chevy says is a direct bolt up for vehicles equipped with 2.8's

swartlkk 08-15-2006 12:04 AM

To answer your question, it is far easier on your truck to pull the trans out than to pull the motor. I had the trans out of my old '85 S10 4x4 in under an hour.

Only problem is, I can not remember if your rear main seal is a two piece seal or a one piece. If it is a one piece seal, you mostlikely do not have to pull the pan, but I'm not sure how the two piece seal would go with everything still assembled.

And yeah, it is a VERY common swap to dump the 2.8L for a 3.4L.

desrt_rat 08-15-2006 02:19 PM

cool, i have heard terrible stories about the bell housing bolts, did you drop the cross member down and go in with a long extension to get to them? the 2.8 is a one piece seal so that part looks pretty easy.

swartlkk 08-15-2006 02:45 PM

Yeah I used extensions (probably 4' worth) and an air rachet to remove the upper bolts.

desrt_rat 08-15-2006 07:34 PM

did you have to pull you crossover or did it miss it?

Hanr3 08-17-2006 01:28 AM

Being a '83 you have a two piece rear main seal. Taht means you have to drop the oil pan. Is there a cross brace, or front axle in the way? If so, your only option might be pulling the engine. In '86 GM went to 1 piece rear main seals.

The 3.4L is a bored out 2.8L 60 degree V6 engine. Yep a direct bolt in, in every aspect in your case. GM no longer sells a remanufactured 2.8L V6 engine, they only sell the 3.4L V6 as a replacement.

desrt_rat 08-17-2006 04:08 AM

damn book, i was going on what my book was saying[:@]

desrt_rat 08-17-2006 07:09 PM

so then i am back to pulling the motor, is it best to drop the tranny to gain access to the bell housing bolts to do this or what about sliding the motor, tranny and transfer forward far enouph to get to them.

swartlkk 08-17-2006 09:59 PM

You don't have to pull the trans, just pull the transmission crossmember and pull out the upper bolts that you cannot get to from below. Put the crossmember back in and support the front of the trans. Remove the rest of the bolts, and pull the motor out the top.