Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

a/c - heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
PennJeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a/c - heat problem

i'm new to this forum... any help with this problem is appreciated:

when i', driving with the a/c or the heat on i experience a drop in engine power once every 15-20 seconds or so. it loses about 100-150 RPMs for about a second or 2, then kicks back up to where it should be. i have been able to time this problem with the idler pulley for the radiator fan. once that fan kicks on, is when the RPMs cut out (i found this out by listening to the engine while it's idling, and i noticed that when the fan kicks on is when the problem occurs). this also happens when the a/c or heat is not on, however it doesn't happen nearly as often, maybe once every minute or so (again, once the fan kicks on). what could be the problem there?

also, recently (within the past month or 2) it occasionally misses. this happens if i'm going up a hill and putting some pressure on the engine (like going up a hill at 50-55 with the air or heat on, again, this problem also is timed with the fan kicking on). it doesn't chug a lot, nothing serious like that. it just misses once. that problem is pretty rare though. the engine losing a little power is the more common problem.

what's going on with my blazer? i've had it about a year and a half. just started having this problem about 6-8 months ago. it's a 2001, 4.3L - 2-door - LS. i don't have any aftermarket parts in or on the entire vehicle except a cd player. never any engine trouble before. please help! thanks.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:33 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: a/c - heat problem

welcome to the forum, first off if there are no aftermarket parts on this thing then you have a belt-driven fan and it doesn't "kick in and out" . You probably are noticing the a/c compressor clutch engauging/disengauging. Which is normal to an extent, but if it's happening every 15-20 seconds you probably have a low refrigerant charge due to a leak in the a/c system.