Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/)
-   -   What Makes A Top Tier Gasoline? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/what-makes-top-tier-gasoline-72730/)

TMM217 08-02-2012 12:50 PM

What Makes A Top Tier Gasoline?

Was wondering if anyone knows info on the top tier fuel requirements. Can you make non top tier fuel top tier with your own additives such as MMO, SeaFoam, Chevron or STP etc.?

rriddle3 08-02-2012 02:30 PM

toptiergas.com

TMM217 08-02-2012 03:41 PM

I guess my real ? is "Can you make non top tier rated gasoline Top Tier on your own". They dont really specify the actual additive in top tier or did I miss that?

rriddle3 08-03-2012 06:39 AM

The additives are proprietary to each brand's refining process. A tanker arrives at a fuel distribution center and takes on a load of gasoline; depending on which stations it is going to deliver to, that brand's additive package is then added to the fuel and the tanker leaves on its route. IOW, prior to the additives being put in, the gas going to a Shell station and that bound for Joe's Corner Store are about the same.

TMM217 08-03-2012 09:35 AM

So all gasoline can be made to a top tier quality by adding your own additives such as MMO and such. Adding my own additives makes me more sure that the gas is at top tier quality. Cant always rely on a tankers load of fuel. Does the EPA even do random testing on a tankers load for correct mixture of additives. I know they do random volume checks at the pumps.

wyzardd 08-03-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by rriddle3 (Post 533495)
The additives are proprietary to each brand's refining process. A tanker arrives at a fuel distribution center and takes on a load of gasoline; depending on which stations it is going to deliver to, that brand's additive package is then added to the fuel and the tanker leaves on its route. IOW, prior to the additives being put in, the gas going to a Shell station and that bound for Joe's Corner Store are about the same.

:icon_that:

I managed both Texaco and Phillips66 stations in my day and when the company was running low at the local distribution point it wasn't unusual to get Citgo or Conoco gas at my station. Never knew exactly what was mixed in right before the truck left the yard (if anything) and as far as I've been able to tell the big name companies are nearly identical.
Except Citgo. I know they mixed something in the Citgo gas to bring it up to Phillips/Texaco standards. That stuff used to be garbage.

Finding a bottle of Techron to make Chevron/Texaco quality gas may be easier than finding pure additive free gasoline (Around here anyway - I haven't seen anyone selling drip for nearly 30 years now). Getting the octane right might be a problem, unless your supplier tested the stuff already.

IMHO, etc. I've been out of the business since 1994 and never was involved with the chemist side

duxtoyz 08-03-2012 09:11 PM

i run chevron with techron in all my rigs and have noticed a 8-10mpg gain in my wifes suburban with the vortec 5.3L, cold air intake, 50 series 3" flowmaster and map sensor programmer. runs cleaner and more efficent too. anything with techron is what id recommend. u can buy bottles of techron to put into any gas from any auto store i would imagine. and after i started religiously runnin chevron ive noticed more carbon blowing out of the exhaust when i stand on it, and it really moves for a full size suburban and runs like a champ!