Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1993 gmc jimmy spider injectors all spraying during fuel pump prime

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member
Martymar is on a distinguished road
Default 1993 gmc jimmy spider injectors all spraying during fuel pump prime

I've been trying to fix this for so long now. I recently"thought" problem was fixed because my acceleration came back and overall the 4.3l V6 finally drove how it should. Then when trying to start it died, then started and died, smell of gas so I knew what to look at. Brought it home took off intake and remove spider assembly. Bought a new fuel pressure regulator and thoroughly cleaned injectors and unit itself. Replaced all gaskets and O rings. Went to start it and kept cranking then noticed fuel smell... Then looked underneath and fuel leaking. Great. Took off plenum again and put power to fuel pump test line and noticed all injectors are spraying when fuel pump is primed. This never happened before. Usually when primed it's the sound of fuel pump and then quiet. Now I hear fuel spraying into cylinders. Is there any way to fix this or are they "toast"? Any info I'd greatly appreciate it. This is my first post I apologize in advance if I'm not posting this properly. Thank you

Old 07-24-2021, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I can't help with this particular problem, but since you have the plenum off, you might consider changing out the tubes that connect the injector assembly to the rear end of the intake. I had a 92 and one of them cracked spilling fuel everywhere.

As for your issue, could there have been some problem with the injectors that came about from the cleaning? Perhaps you should replace them too. BTW, I hate just throwing parts at problem but it seems like this would be appropriate to try here.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I can't help with this particular problem, but since you have the plenum off, you might consider changing out the tubes that connect the injector assembly to the rear end of the intake. I had a 92 and one of them cracked spilling fuel everywhere.

As for your issue, could there have been some problem with the injectors that came about from the cleaning? Perhaps you should replace them too. BTW, I hate just throwing parts at problem but it seems like this would be appropriate to try here.
I may have damaged them by using compressed air to them for 10 to 15 seconds. I was making sure they weren't stuck closed

Old 07-25-2021, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

If you disconnect the injector wiring harness, do they still spray?

Old 07-25-2021, 11:05 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
If you disconnect the injector wiring harness, do they still spray?
Yes. From my understanding the fuel pressure is what opens up the injectors. I'm not sure what that wiring harness even does.
I'm going to swap out another fuel pressure regulator maybe the new one is defective?

Last edited by Martymar; 07-25-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:16 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Martymar
Yes. From my understanding the fuel pressure is what opens up the injectors. I'm not sure what that wiring harness even does
That harness goes to the "fuel injector" that actually meters the fuel. If it doesn't get an electrical signal, no fuel should spray. I haven't worked on one of those but, if it's anything like the old throttle body injectors, it comes right out and is easily replaced. I think I would start there.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:59 AM
Beginning Member

Yes. From my understanding the fuel pressure is what opens up the injectors. I'm not sure what that wiring harness even does.
I'm going to swap out another fuel pressure regulator maybe the new one is defective?
Nope. That didn't do anything. I'm clueless on what to do next except purchase a reman spider injector assembly..

Old 07-25-2021, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

That harness goes to the "fuel injector" that actually meters the fuel. If it doesn't get an electrical signal, no fuel should spray. I haven't worked on one of those but, if it's anything like the old throttle body injectors, it comes right out and is easily replaced. I think I would start there.
SO it is getting signal because of fuel spray, so that could mean a bad ground? But even when disconnected I get fuel spray.

Last edited by Martymar; 07-25-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran

SO it is getting signal because of fuel spray, so that could mean a bad ground? But even when disconnected I get fuel spray.
That's why I'm thinking it's stuck open. A new AC-Delco unit (217-2280) is about $100, but you can buy remanufactured ones for about half that. You can also buy a seal kit for it (217-3030), in case that's why it's bypassing.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:01 PM
Beginning Member

That's why I'm thinking it's stuck open. A new AC-Delco unit (217-2280) is about $100, but you can buy remanufactured ones for about half that. You can also buy a seal kit for it (217-3030), in case that's why it's bypassing.
THank you
Except that's tbi mine is cpi

Quick Reply: 1993 gmc jimmy spider injectors all spraying during fuel pump prime