Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1994 s10 blazer losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member
brecko is on a distinguished road

i also wanted to mention that there doesnt seem to be any coolant in the oil or the tranny....they both seem fine...so maybe..intake gasket???

Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road
Default Head Gaskets

Originally Posted by brecko
blown head gasket isnt it...or someone is tellin me its a cracked water jacket in the block or head and or a head gasket....when i run the truck for under a minute and then pop the radiator cap i get a burst of pressure even cold...meaning that there could be exhaust fumes in the radiator????or somethin like that??....any ideas again oh great and powerful billbobagns??
Head Gaskets separate a bunch of things, compression, coolant, valley (oil), outside of the motor (but not exhaust). When they give up, depending on where it is, different things can happen and compression into the coolant is a common one. This is expressed, as you say, by pressure build up on the radiator and the radiator burping out much more coolant than it should. The cast steel in the head does indeed keep coolant from the exhaust.

I'm still mystified by all the water in your exhaust. Usually, as the gas cools in the tail pipe, there can be a little clear water back there, but I've not hear of it in the Y. I can't explain how antifreeze could get in there unless the head is "CRACKED" as you suggest.

A "Cylinder Leak down" test puts 70 psi of compressed air in the spark plug hole, one cylinder at a time, with that piston on TDC. If your radiator bubbles continuously during that test, you've got a problem.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Head gasket. Change them both and be done with it. That certainly explains the loss of coolant. The gasket may be out in two places. One happens to be bigger than the other. The larger gap will let compression into the cooling system and the smaller will let the cooling system into the combustion chamber so it can be exhausted. Do a compression test or a leak-down test and find out which cylinders are having the problems.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Beginning Member

i didnt see your responses...didnt know that there was another page...well im gonna purchase a compression test kit this weekend...and i think im gonna have my buddy mechanic check it out..if its the head gasket or gaskets then it will be handled..i hope thats all that it is...i put the coolant in...and an hour later..it disappears...weird man...and thats with the motor off...when it starts..some type of liquid is escaping from all ove the place...exhaust wise...the y im refering to is when the exhaust pipe is attached to the pipe off of the passenger side exhaust manifold...it angles downward under the truck..and y's off to flow across to the drivers side and up to the drivers side of the motor...at that y is where the spraying is coming from...all over the low pressure tranny coolant lines you mentioned...then it leaks from the catylitic converter and from the drivers side exhaust connection to the exhasut manifold...and more towards the back of the truck...crazy man...i knew that the purchase was too good to be true...i knew i had to put money into it...but..its gonna be crazy...
let me ask u one more thing...if it is indeed the head gasket or gaskets...what would have caused this.....could it have been that when his genious girlfriend couldnt get up the hill in the snow that she reved the living crap out of the truck?...and blew the head gasket?...cause if that is the case...i wanna be able to be pissed off at that reason...becasue i believe that she did this.....

Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
badpoor is on a distinguished road

I had an issue that was similar to yours and it turned out to be a leak on the inlet lines going to and from the radiator to engine/tranny.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Beginning Member

i checked those....at the radiator and at the tranny...seem fine...i think its narrowed down to the heads somehow...gonna have em pulled next week...as for now..it sits on jack stands and i keep puttin coolant in it everyday...i wish it was summer and not friggin 20 degrees out...talk about nerve racking...i wanna thank everyone...ill keep you all posted....if youre interested....thanks again...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Beginning Member

well just an update...its been a while....engine is apart......both head gaskets are blown beyond belief....radiator had a very small leak....cause overheating which in turn blew the gaskets...obviously....heads are being decked right now...and valves are bein recut and cleaned with new seals....new radiator has been ordered...gasket kits etc...should be good as new in about two days....unbelieveable....this better be worth it.......next...breaks...exhaust...tires.....and more...but this way i know whats being done to the truck and check those things off the to do list...instead of buyin another vehicle....and starting over.....only costing me about 1200 for the job to be done...from a mechanic friend of mine so...im saving a ton of casheesh....all of the fluid blowin out was obviously from the heads...thanks for all the advice..

Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by brecko
well just an update...its been a while....engine is apart......both head gaskets are blown beyond belief....radiator had a very small leak....cause overheating which in turn blew the gaskets...obviously....heads are being decked right now...and valves are bein recut and cleaned with new seals....new radiator has been ordered...gasket kits etc...should be good as new in about two days....unbelieveable....this better be worth it.......next...breaks...exhaust...tires.....and more...but this way i know whats being done to the truck and check those things off the to do list...instead of buyin another vehicle....and starting over.....only costing me about 1200 for the job to be done...from a mechanic friend of mine so...im saving a ton of casheesh....all of the fluid blowin out was obviously from the heads...thanks for all the advice..
Not bad, in the mid 90's I put a rebuilt long block in a 86 Chevy pickup, done it all myself, and I was out nearly $1200.00.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Beginning Member

its 4:30 am in nj...12" of snow fell overnight...gotta get ready to get all the parts now...exciting...while everyone else in the house is sleeping.................yeah not bad...i meant to say 1200 including the parts...hes doin it for 500.00 so with the parts its about 1200.00...300 for the heads to be completely redone...with the valves....72.00 for the gasket kit...30.00 for the new head bolts...oil...filter...coolant....125 for a new radiator..and some odds and ends...so im gettin a great deal...and once i drive it away the tranny will go...hahahaha...but the damn thing still needs tires...brakes...exhaust...door locks all around...the things we do for our kids...then hes on his own...he can thank me when im on my death bed...my wife also...since i wanted to buy a ranch home and we ended up buyin a 4 story century plus old home with four flights of stairs...I LOVE MY WIFE I LOVE MY KIDS I LOVE MY MONEY...I LOVE MY WIFE I LOVE MY KIDS I LOVE MY MONEY!!!!....and my knees love the stairs....

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

When I put a long block in, to get the warranty they usually want me to change a bunch of stuff like new water pump, t-stat. I also figure it only makes sense to do new radiator and all hoses and belts at the same time. I usually have the starter gone thru. When I'm done, its not hard to be $800 over the cost of the long block. Stuff adds up.

On the S10-Blazers I buy, I like to yank the AC compressor, intake manifold and waterpump. Flush the AC system with solvent and re-install new o-rings, expansion valve, compressor, evacuate and charge. Replace or repair injection spider. Put on new $80 Felpro intake gaskets, ne thermostat. have radiator blown/cleaned/replaced, blow-clean-replace the AC condenser coil- flush/clean heater core. Fresh "Green" antifreeze (I just don't do the extended stuff) all heater-hoses radiator-hoses. All hoses/belts are Gates brand if possible.

Yes, it can run a few hundred bucks and take 10 hours, but it's much easier to do it all at once while stuff is out of the way. And it feels great to know one of those is not about to go out on me.

Quick Reply: 1994 s10 blazer losing coolant