Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine Number Location

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 01:46 AM
Beetles Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Number Location

Hi all , I have an issue trying to register my 2002 Blazer , 4.3 lt , the inspector wants the engine number and I have looked online and I cant find any info as to where the number is located on a V6 , plenty of sites with the V8 location but no V6 , can any one help me with this problem. I have added a pic of a sticker that I found under the hood , the big number in the middle is the VIN , but I am not sure about the top number that is hardly visible , any ideas
Cheers

Last edited by Beetles Blazer; 09-22-2020 at 02:20 AM. Reason: adding an image
Old 09-22-2020, 09:13 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Has the engine been replaced with something different? I've never heard of an inspector needing an engine number for a car, only motorcycles.

BTW, that decal looks more like the part number for your hood or something. Not the engine number, which should be stamped on the block somewhere. On small block V8s, it's on the block deck surface, right behind one of the heads, but I don't know about the 4.3 V6.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:30 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beetles Blazer
Hi all , I have an issue trying to register my 2002 Blazer , 4.3 lt , the inspector wants the engine number and I have looked online and I cant find any info as to where the number is located on a V6 , plenty of sites with the V8 location but no V6 , can any one help me with this problem. I have added a pic of a sticker that I found under the hood , the big number in the middle is the VIN , but I am not sure about the top number that is hardly visible , any ideas
Cheers
Tom, he's in Australia.

Engine Identification 4.3 V-6

• The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Derivative is located on the left side rear of the engine block (1) or on the right side rear (2) and typically is a nine digit number stamped or laser etched onto the engine at the vehicle assembly plant. - The first digit identifies the division. - The second digit identifies the model year. - The third digit identifies the assembly plant. - The fourth through ninth digits are the last six digits of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). See attached documentation far below from GM Service Information for drawings of locations.

• Engines built at the Tonawanda engine plant have the engine identification number located at the right front top of the engine block. - The first digit (1) is the source code. - The second and third digits (2) are the month of build. - The forth and fifth digits (3) are the date of build. - The sixth, seventh, and eighth digits (4) are the broadcast code. See attached documentation far below from GM Service Information for drawings of locations.

• Engines built at the Romulus engine plant have the engine identification number located at the right front top of the engine block. - The first digit (1) is the source code. - The second and third digits (2) are the month of build. - The fourth digit (3) is the hour of the build. - The fifth and sixth digits (4) are the date of build. - The seventh, eighth, and ninth digits (5) are the broadcast code. See attached documentation far below from GM Service Information for drawings of locations.

As you can see in the attached file, front of cylinder head at passenger front side of engine is where the engine ID number is located. If engine block is decked by a machine shop during a rebuilding process, the engine ID number is removed.

I think what the inspector wants for registration is the VIN derivative # stamped on the engine as it is unique to your vehicle. Please note that more than one vehicle can have the same engine ID # (which is not the same thing). But you can now give both and explain what they are - then ask the inspector which one he wants for certain.

Time to go buy a little pocket mirror on a collapsable extension! I believe the first two digits of the number you want will start out "C2"!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2002EngineID.pdf (115.1 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by LesMyer; 09-22-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:51 AM
Beetles Blazer is on a distinguished road

Hey guys , Tom A , thanks for the reply and yeah I am in Australia and evry car has to provide an engine number over here , it's a pain in the butt when you want to change engines or get machine work done , and thanks Les for the info , this has solved my problem , I'll keep the rego thing updated and post some pics when I get it on the road
Cheers all

Old 02-17-2022, 02:23 PM
Starting Member
pabloargentina is on a distinguished road

Hi guys!In Argentina it is mandatory. but, I could not find it, I have read that some Blazers do not have an engine number

Old 02-18-2022, 08:39 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

See post #3 of this thread.