Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1995 blazer transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
mc10 is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 blazer transmission trouble

Worked fine until one day it just quit.. No forward or reverse gears. fluid level is fine although a little dark in color. disconnected coolant line and pump appears to be working. Any ideas? Or should i just assume a rebuild is needed? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anything apper to be wrong leading up to this? like slippage, bucking, surging, noises or any wierd smells? casue it is rare that you would loose every gear all at once, ususlaly its reverse first then the others start to go. if one day you lost all gears i would drop the pan and see if you see any shavings or metal pieces in the pan magnet.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM

Tranny was slipping and my girlfriend continued to try and drive it home. I did notice it shifting a little hard a few days before..

Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM

if she drove it far enought while it was slipping, chances are it overheated.......sounds like a tranny rebuild to me.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:40 PM

I kinda figured. Any idea why it would start slippping in the first place? I've worked on many vehicles in the past so I guess I'm mechanically inclined. But never inside a transmission. Not sure if I want to take on that challenge but I cant afford to have it done so I may have to.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM

In a automatic transmission the clutch material is similar to brake pad material in that it wears down over time and the steel friction surface (think of it like a rotor) that the clutch presses and releases against also wears, so the clutch material wears out and losses friction, thus creating slip. Transmissions arent as bad as people think, if you are patient, very organized and maintain a VERY clean work surface. you could probally pull your tranny, rebuild your own transmission and reinstall in your garage suscessfully in a few days after work or a weekend. the only problemn is that if you dont follow every step in the rebuild manaul or forget a check ball or spring your screwed and have to do it all over. its up to you.....I would rebuild mine except i dont have a garage and i dont think a blacktop driveway is the cleanest work surface for a rebuild :P

Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Well i've begun the process of removing transmission and so far I am ready to set my blazer on fire. Broke 2 exhaust to manifold bolts so far. Cant wait to start drilling those. Can anyone tell me if it is easier to remove transfer case before removing transmission?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

its alot eaiser to remove the transfer case berfore the transmission. also do you have access to a welder? if so then you could weld a nut to the broken off bolts and then just wrench them out. you lay the nut over the broken bolt and weld the inside of the nut to the bolt.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Well got the transmission out and almost dissasembled. I have some burnt clutches and an o-ring blown out. I did break the manifold pressure switch during removal as it was stuck to the valve body like glue. Could this have been the cause of the problems?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

It very well could have caused an issue. However depending on where that seal was blown could be why you didn't have any gears at all. Transmissions are very simple in operation but the complication lies in the actuation of these simple principles. Your only real issue is figuring out what caused the problem in the first place.

How many miles are on the vehicle? If you do a search for 700r4 and 4L60e, I listed every sensor that affects transmission operation on the '95+ 4L60e. It is possible that the combination of that and high miles could have led to the problem.

Quick Reply: 1995 blazer transmission trouble