Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trani Filter question '99 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trani Filter question '99 4WD

I opted to drop the Pan and replace the filter instead of Just flushing it out a trani line as I add new. Looking up part numbers for Filter and gasket I see that ther eare two options. A filter for a 2 1/8" pan and one for a 2 7/8" pan. With the car not available to eyeball this...is there an assumption I can make as to the correct one or did they throw different sized Pans on these vehicle randomly?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

4wd is the shallow pan 2 1/8... for a bit more ground clearance...

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Thanks. With just he Pan drop, How many quarts should I expect to need to replace? I'm sure most fluid stays in the convertor

Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Logan
4wd is the shallow pan 2 1/8... for a bit more ground clearance...
Not always the case and actually, the vast majority are opposite. In fact, every s-series 4wd I have ever had the pleasure of changing the transmission fluid on (8 that I can remember) had the deep pan.

You could possibly contact the dealer with your VIN which they may be able to cross reference it down to the point of knowing what you have for the pan.

Or just buy both filter kits and use the one that matches your filter (or measure your pan when you have the truck in front of you).

As far as how much you will be expecting to put back in, I would have 8 qts handy. Typical pan drop will be about 6-7 qts of fluid.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 PM

Nuts.
I was hoping to order the parts today so come Saturday , when the car is home, I can do it as opposed to just starting to measure the Pan then having to wait a week to see the car again.
My initial guess would have been teh 4WD would carry more fluid. I guess it'll wait.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Not always the case and actually, the vast majority are opposite. In fact, every s-series 4wd I have ever had the pleasure of changing the transmission fluid on (8 that I can remember) had the deep pan.
I did not know that. 8 4x4's ive done have been all shallow pan. Even the GM mechanics I used to work with told me 4X4 is the shallow pan. Unless its a canadian thing.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Logan
I did not know that. 8 4x4's ive done have been all shallow pan. Even the GM mechanics I used to work with told me 4X4 is the shallow pan. Unless its a canadian thing.
Quite possibly a canadian thing or it may be an assembly plant thing... Thinking about it, it is more plausible that it is climate based. More fluid = more cooling time for warmer climates? Maybe..?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to see if it the shallow or deep pan based on appearance. The deep pan will have a small step in it which makes it deeper,the shallow will be the same height all across the bottom. My AWD has the shallow pan which doesnt really make sense to me since its awd with the towing packge,but it took like 5qts.