Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

transmission pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:01 PM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transmission pan gasket

Has anyone tried the magnetic pan gasket RockAuto sells ? seems it's gonna be a good idea tryin to get those 16-20 bolts started while layin on your back changing the fluid, because you CAN"T use any gasket tack or sealer. I ordered 1 today I'll post if it's any good, it was only $2-$3 more. If anyone used 1 or knows about them put up a post, Thanks..

Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: transmission pan gasket

I used a rubber one if I remember right. It had the holes slightly smaller than the bolt so you could put them in and just put it up and start them.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently install a new transmission filter and deep pan and used a Fel Pro gasket. I sealed the gasket to the pan with Loctite High-Tack sealer and the pan side of the gasket was bare. It was easyinstalling the Summitaluminum panafter I disconnected the crossmember and rewelded the Y-pipe crossover 1" forward so it wouldclear the deeper and thicker aluminum pan.Anytime you remove the transmission pan,change the filter.

Use Loctite High-Tack sealer with a gasket of your choice but put the sealer only on the pan then install thegasket on the panandlet it set up for 15 minutes. Hold it in place with one hand or a small floor jack and install two bolts on opposite sides of the pan. The gasket will not slip or stick as you install the pan if you only put sealer on the pan.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Really the best way is to just use the gasket. As stated already, the bolt holes should be slightly smaller than the bolts themselves. I put all of the bolts on, allowing the gasket to hold them, then get under the truck. Start each bolt a few turns (do not tighten them), then once each bolt is started, start tightening them down moving across the pan, side to side. First, just snug, then torque them down.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I put it together one bolt at a time. I put the first bolt in then lift it into place and hold it there with my other hand. Start the first bolt. Then work my way around until I get all teh bolts started. then use a crossing pattern to get them hand tight, finally torque tight.

Never use and sealant.