Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2 button 4x4 switch to floor stick conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Starting Member
Cidium is on a distinguished road

I installed the front driveline today and everything seems to be working fine. I haven't done a high speed test yet but I am pretty sure the 4h is working as should be. I got iced today from the wrecking yard, they are in process of pulling the shifter assembly from a 2 door 91 blazer - never called me back to say it was ready for pick-up. They are closed on weekends so I have to wait for monday. I can go ahead and start making some mods to the encoder assembly, pretty much know where I am going to hack the body for the shifter arm. Need the stock shifter assembly to know where the bracket I am going to make needs to end up for the shifter pivot bolt. I am going to modify the stock electronic harness so it can be used for indicator lights, but from the start I am going to run without indicator lights.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

glad to see you never gave up on this issue.

it sure sounds like there may be some internal issues with your t-case. or it could just be super stiff from lack of use. how long did the previous owner say the 4WD was crapped out?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Try out this thread. Guy swapped half of a 233 to a 231. Lots of details and pics to boot. '94 Jimmy Push-button to Manual 4x4 Swap ( 1 2)

Old 02-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Starting Member

I can say this: This blazer is suffering from old age, and neglect. Not sure when the TC gave it up but I assume the 4x4 not working was a big part of why he sold this blazer. From what i know, this was only a hunting rig, used it several times a year. All i can do right now is keep my fingers crossed the TC performs for what I need, light duty. If it does go out then I'll have the manual shifter in place and can do a swap to the 231, modify the tail shaft and be good to go. And then maybe sell this franken-slash linkage on Ebay for a million bucks. I did see that post gimpy and to be honest, this is still a limited budget and I made my mind up to make this a manual shifter. The 50 bucks for the floor console and linkage is cheaper than a 231, all the other stuff to make this work I have, metal, welder and time. If that day comes all that info on combining the 2 will come in handy.

Last edited by Cidium; 02-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Starting Member

Here's what I got in parts so far....

This is what I am going to re-use from the encoder assembly. The motor housing will bolt back on the transfercase and serve as the mount for the selector arm. The selector arm is going to made from the encoder gear and probably a piece of 1/4" flat bar. I am going to install the selector switch now for a possible connection in the future.

Here's what I got off the 91 donor blazer... The shifter linkage and mounting bracket is massive. This is a bulletproof design as far as I can tell. The mounting bracket uses 3 bolts and is thick as hell.

The console needs the mounting bracket removed from the donor car. I used a drill bit and drilled out the 4 spot welds holding to the tunnel. You can see this bracket between the console and boot.

The other part that is needed is the heater box output. It's completely different from a non-floor shifter.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Starting Member
Monckey9 is on a distinguished road

I have a 4X4 Blazer with the button. It had the engaging problem so I put a new module in it and it worked for like a month. Now it's back not working and worse. It will get stuck in 4x4 mystery. the light turns off but nothing is engaged. It will roll in 4 but once u hit the gas it just revs up.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

well........it's been almost 3 weeks now.

how goes the progress with the swap?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Starting Member

I haven't forgot about this project, just a couple of things are slowing me down right now. The weather has been typical for oregon, rain, rain, rain. Also, been trying to figure out a coolant leak so the shifter is on the back burner right now but as soon as I get a chance i'll be updating with pics.