Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Witts end

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member
maxi52.1 is on a distinguished road
Default Witts end

I have a 92 s10 blazer. it stalls when it reaches operating temp. It is not throwing any codes. I have replaced sp wires, roter, and cap. also replaced temp switch. It has 50lbs fuel preasure. I had icm tested, made sure it got hot, tested fine.After stalling I checked coil for spark, it has strong spark. I am now ready to replace pickup coil. Before I do this, does anyone have any suggestions. I have searched the forum for hours. Thank you.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Beginning Member

I changed the pickup coil. Did not help. Checked fuel presure, all readings normal. Today I am changing ECM. It seems that fuel to injecters is being tuned off when engine reaches operating temp. No fault codes. Any suggestions.
Thank you.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do the injectors stop injecting or does the fuel pressure drop off for some reason? What testing have you done? What were the results? Why did you replace the parts you replaced?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for your reply.

The prob started when engine would stall when at operating temp and not restart for 15 min and then run only 5min and stall again. I replaced the fuel filter thinking it might be clogged. No luck. I removed icm and took to autozone and had it tested. It tested good. The test was run 15 times to heat it up. Parts man said it was probably the pickuo coil. I replaced that and the temp switch. Still no fix. Tested fuel preasure, both running and off. Also tested up to point of stall and after stall. the readings were between 58 and 62lbs. Also found no bleed down after 5 min. I also replaced cap rotor and wires while I was at it. After stall it will restart with fuel sprayed into intake, then die again. It seems to me that the fuel is getting shut off by something when engine reaches op temp. However it will stay running but missing if i tromp on the gas in 2nd gear, bit will die if I let off the gas.

Thank you for your time.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
mierze is on a distinguished road

Could be the oxygen sensors. When the truck warms up and goes into closed loop, the sensors are giving commands that are too rich or too lean and causing the engine to stall. Try unplugging them at first, to see if there is a change. If this has been an issue for a while, then replacement isnt a bad idea anyway, with all the raw fuel being thrown at them.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your suggestion, the sensor is fine.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure sounds like sensors feeding the PCM bad information once it enters closed loop operation.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Beginning Member

Any suggestions on what sensors could be causing this prob. I have replaced and or checked all of them that I know of. The ecm is next if I cant find anything else that might be sutting the engine down.
Thank you.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member
Default Running out of options

Well today I replaced the ecm. No change in the problem. I also replaced the fuel pump relay. I also inspected and cleaned egr valve.
I am now at a loss. Do I keep on throwing money at it or keep replacing things. I guess my next step would be to replace the fuel pressure regulator. I just dont know.
Today after starting it up, it ran fine untill it ot hot, Approx 15 mins. I heard it starting to die and brought the engine speed up to 2000rpm. It continued to run, but was surging and missing intermittantly. When I let of the gas it died and would not restart.
After letting it cool down it started and ran fine. I was up front by the air intake when it started to die again. I could hear the air in the intake getting sucked in smoothly. As it started to die I could hear the engine trying to suck more air and then die.
To date I have replaced the icm, ecm, The pickup coil, wires plugs and rotor, fuel pump relay, tps, and fuel filter. I tested the fuel pump and found it was 58 to 62lbs. I also checked the o2 sensor.
This is my wife's going to work car and she loves it. I NEED TO GET IT FIXED.
I thank you for those who have given me suggestions. If anyone has any more I would be grateful.

Thank you

Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Beginning Member

I replaced the pickup coil, icm, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, tps, fuel filter, ecm, and tested coil and fuel pressure. It still died after warming up. Also it was not throwing any codes. Needless to say I was frustrated.
I decided it had to be fuel related after reading an article about cpi problems. Here is the link. http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/a...injection.aspx When I opened the upper intake I found the passenger side of the intake squeaky clean and the other side crusty. That ment fuel was leaking out of the pressure regulator. The electrical connecter was soaked. The connection was shorting out when it got hot and shutting down the fuel.
I replaced the spyder and YEAH, it runs like a new rig.
Thanks to everyone who offered advise